Apomorphine

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by ChargerSRT, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ChargerSRT

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Why would a veterinarian ask a pharmacist to purchase apomorphine for him? Can't he purchase it himself for his office use? I have a faint memory while studying for pharmacy boards that apomorphine is for vet use only and I don't think I can even sell it to him. I tried searching for my answer, but I come up empty.

Any help? Thanks. Scott

2. alliecat44

alliecat44 KSU CVM Class of '11
    Moderator Emeritus Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    To my knowledge, it's been off the market for years. Veterinarians have had to have it compounded for years. :) Don't know why that is, but some vets have a realllly hard time getting ahold of it! I believe they usually have to use compounding pharmacies and not traditional pharmacies.

Definitely not something I would be "suspicious" of a vet requesting, if that's why you thought of it. :)

3. Bill59

Bill59 Member
    10+ Year Member

Injectable apomorphine is still about the best way to induce vomiting in dogs. But most veterinary drug distributors don't carry it any more.

4. Hollycozza

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    this just seems like a thread in which the -> :barf: emoticon ought to appear!!! :)

(Sorry, :hijacked: )

5. CookieBear

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Yeah, I always ordered small soft capsules of it from a reputable compounding pharmacy. (I believe they were capsules, if I'm remembering correctly).

Since I was ordering from California, I think I also recall that Apomorphine is considered Controlled in the state of CA. I don't remember if I did it to humor the compounding pharmacist, or if there was legit legal reason/implications, but I kept the stuff in the locked Controlled drug cabinet.