Apomorphine

ChargerSRT

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
  1. Pharmacist
    Why would a veterinarian ask a pharmacist to purchase apomorphine for him? Can't he purchase it himself for his office use? I have a faint memory while studying for pharmacy boards that apomorphine is for vet use only and I don't think I can even sell it to him. I tried searching for my answer, but I come up empty.

Any help? Thanks. Scott

alliecat44

KSU CVM Class of '11
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jan 23, 2007
    DC metro area
    1. Veterinarian
      To my knowledge, it's been off the market for years. Veterinarians have had to have it compounded for years. :) Don't know why that is, but some vets have a realllly hard time getting ahold of it! I believe they usually have to use compounding pharmacies and not traditional pharmacies.

Definitely not something I would be "suspicious" of a vet requesting, if that's why you thought of it. :)

About the Ads

CookieBear

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Oct 1, 2006
      East Coast
      1. Veterinarian
        Yeah, I always ordered small soft capsules of it from a reputable compounding pharmacy. (I believe they were capsules, if I'm remembering correctly).

Since I was ordering from California, I think I also recall that Apomorphine is considered Controlled in the state of CA. I don't remember if I did it to humor the compounding pharmacist, or if there was legit legal reason/implications, but I kept the stuff in the locked Controlled drug cabinet.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.