1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Apoptosis

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by marscole, Jun 16, 2008.

1. marscole

marscole Junior Member

Kaplan Bio Sub Test 1 Q32:

Does mitochondria participate in apoptosis/autolysis?

I remember there is... bcl-2 on the surface of the mitochondria. Or maybe I misunderstood the question.

Anyone has any idea? Or I appreciate those can clarify this one.

Thank you!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    No only lysosomes contribute to autolysis and apoptosis...mitochondria have 1 job only, to supply the cell with energy (and pass on its DNA from the mother but thats less important)...

4. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist

Dentist
    Mitochondria 100% participate in apoptosis. Some key molecules are released from the mitochondria to initiate and regulate apoptosis (bcl-2 allows cytochrome c to be released from the mito during apoptosis for example).

5. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    I take back what i said, this is the first time i heard about this, i looked it up on wiki, pretty interesting...so are the bcl-2 genes in the mitochondrial DNA??

6. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist

Dentist
    From what I recall it isn't a mito gene but its effects are on the mito membrane. The mitochondria absolutely provide energy for the cell but they are key players in apoptosis regulation. If anything goes wrong with the cell and the cell "realizes" it cannot repair itself, the mitochondria will help the cell undergo apoptosis.

7. marscole

marscole Junior Member

thank you!! i guess bcl-2 is a new finding and kaplan's questions are pretty old.

so cant rely too much on kaplan.

8. bumpski20

Pre-Dental
    bcl-2 is a regulator protein for vertebrate (ced-9 for c. elegans) so it supresses apoptosis in the presence of trophic factors (which it senses).

so bcl-2 is basically anti-apoptosis and is located in the outer mito, nuclear and endoplasmic membrane.

i had to do a lab project on bcl-2...its my favorite protein :p