You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Apoptosis
Started by Pikachou
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
lysosomal rupture is a big one, particularly in early developmental apoptosis like separation of fingers
Is this still considered apoptosis? I know apoptosis is like programmed cell death. But when a lysozyme ruptures, it's hydolytical enzymes basically digest itself. Is ALL cell death considered apoptosis?
Is this still considered apoptosis? I know apoptosis is like programmed cell death. But when a lysozyme ruptures, it's hydolytical enzymes basically digest itself. Is ALL cell death considered apoptosis?
No, all cell death is not apoptosis. Apoptosis is a specific type of cell death during which the cell essentially commits suicide. This can be d/t non-lethal damage but is also a normal part of development in a growing organism. The other major cause of cell death is necrosis, which is always pathologic. In contrast, apoptosis is a normal part of life and is going on in your body right now as it continually replaces old cells with new ones. As for the lysosome, if it ruptured d/t the cell getting (for instance) a burn injury then that would be necrosis.
http://www.qub.ac.uk/cm/pat/education/Cellinj/sld013.htm
Leonardo Noto
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, all cell death is not apoptosis. Apoptosis is a specific type of cell death during which the cell essentially commits suicide. This can be d/t non-lethal damage but is also a normal part of development in a growing organism. The other major cause of cell death is necrosis, which is always pathologic. In contrast, apoptosis is a normal part of life and is going on in your body right now as it continually replaces old cells with new ones. As for the lysosome, if it ruptured d/t the cell getting (for instance) a burn injury then that would be necrosis.
http://www.qub.ac.uk/cm/pat/education/Cellinj/sld013.htm
Leonardo Noto
Cool, thanks! I didn't think it'd be the same thing, but I wasn't sure of the precise differences. This helped, 🙂.
Cool, thanks! I didn't think it'd be the same thing, but I wasn't sure of the precise differences. This helped, 🙂.
when lysosomes release their hydrolytic enzymes it's termed autolysis.
when lysosomes release their hydrolytic enzymes it's termed autolysis.
Ohhh yeah! That's the term I've heard. Thanks!
lysosomal mediated autolysis and autophagy are separate events. I was referring particularly to apoptosis as defined by programmed cell death during development. Currently, ‘lysosomal pathway of apoptosis' is outside established pathways for apoptosis which included intrinsic and extrinsic, but, its an area of a lot of research with compiling evident which suggest a greater role of lysosomes in apoptosis.
sources:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11423908
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19089926
http://www.jbc.org/content/276/5/3149.long
sources:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11423908
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19089926
http://www.jbc.org/content/276/5/3149.long
lysosomal mediated autolysis and autophagy are separate events. I was referring particularly to apoptosis as defined by programmed cell death during development. Currently, lysosomal pathway of apoptosis is outside established pathways for apoptosis which included intrinsic and extrinsic, but, its an area of a lot of research with compiling evident which suggest a greater role of lysosomes in apoptosis.
sources:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11423908
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19089926
http://www.jbc.org/content/276/5/3149.long
Yeah, sometimes the line b/t necrosis and programmed cell death is gray, but it won't be on the MCAT. Just learn what you're review book teaches you about it and work a few questions on the subject and then don't overthink it on the exam. You want to be a physician, not a molecular biologist!
Leonardo Noto
Physican turned Grumpy Old Writer
Yeah, sometimes the line b/t necrosis and programmed cell death is gray, but it won't be on the MCAT. Just learn what you're review book teaches you about it and work a few questions on the subject and then don't overthink it on the exam. You want to be a physician, not a molecular biologist!
Leonardo Noto
Physican turned Grumpy Old Writer
lol true, had to answer Pikachou's question though
Yeah, sometimes the line b/t necrosis and programmed cell death is gray, but it won't be on the MCAT. Just learn what you're review book teaches you about it and work a few questions on the subject and then don't overthink it on the exam. You want to be a physician, not a molecular biologist!
Leonardo Noto
Physican turned Grumpy Old Writer
Physically, necrosis is random, but apoptotic cells show distinct morphological changes (blebbing, etc). Not to mention that in terms of cellular signaling, necrotic cells won't have the same signaling cascades activated as cells undergoing apoptosis.
But, I agree with the above post about not worrying about differences like this. The only reason why I know this is because I'm a molecular biologist. With that said, I've only looked at cell cultures and parts of mouse tumors, so Leonardo Noto may be completely correct in regards to actual human samples since I'm not a physician and have no experience there!
lol true, had to answer Pikachou's question though
I thought that your post was great, man!
Leonardo Noto
www.leonardonoto.com or follow me on Twitter @DrLeonardoNoto