wannabedoc34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
After completing your post-bac (lets say: BU or GU), did your undergrad science GPA/overall GPA (lets say: <3.0) ever haunt your application/interview/acceptance the following year?

medanthgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
casa bonita
Status
wannabedoc34 said:
After completing your post-bac (lets say: BU or GU), did your undergrad science GPA/overall GPA (lets say: <3.0) ever haunt your application/interview/acceptance the following year?

bump...that's a great question and my worst fear that after working my butt off in a post-bacc those handful of Cs, couple of Ds, and one F will still ruin my efforts.

abcd1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
medanthgirl said:
bump...that's a great question and my worst fear that after working my butt off in a post-bacc those handful of Cs, couple of Ds, and one F will still ruin my efforts.
You have to list every single course you ever took anywhere on your AMCAS application - undergrad, graduate school, postbacc whatever. So, unfortunately, those lower grades still get averaged into your overall GPA.

LooKing4Ward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Status
I thought it was only undergrad and post-bac that AMCAS averages and I think that's what it says in their 2006 app. So, if you do very well in a Masters also you can't use it to have a better average.

playthatfunky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
Status
the spots are UNDERGRAD, SCIENCE, POST BACC, GRADUATE and that is also probably the order of importance

NRAI2001

3K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
playthatfunky said:
the spots are UNDERGRAD, SCIENCE, POST BACC, GRADUATE and that is also probably the order of importance
Post bacc work is more important than graduate work?

abcd1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
NRAI2001 said:
Post bacc work is more important than graduate work?
It depends on what the graduate work is in. In my case, my graduate work didn't matter a whole helluvalot since it had absolutely nothing to do with medicine or health.

As far as weight of importance for getting your avg GPA, it all counts the same.

NRAI2001

3K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
abcd1234 said:
It depends on what the graduate work is in. In my case, my graduate work didn't matter a whole helluvalot since it had absolutely nothing to do with medicine or health.

As far as weight of importance for getting your avg GPA, it all counts the same.
:thumbup:

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
wannabedoc34 said:
Thanks. Undergrad = overall GPA right?
No ... they have a separate area for overall gpa.

They also have it by year ...

Fresh,
Soph,
JR.
Sr.
Post-bacc

They do notice trends and will take in consideration dates of improvement as well.

LooKing4Ward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Status
Hopefully, if they break it down as such, a human being is actually weeding through the process, which I doubt with some many apps.

OP
W

wannabedoc34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Status
if you do have significant improvement (1 grade point average) and post-bacc (considering you do well), you do have a decent shot into medical school right? (aside from EC, MCAT, the million other things like race, family history of doctors).