App Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigJ77

BlackIce
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that our personal essay can be max 900 words. Well, when you look at the space on a printed out essay form it says to limit your essay to one page. How do you fit 900 words on one page?
j

Members don't see this ad.

where did you get this information?? The essay can be up to 1000 words. They say they prefer it to be 1 page or so because that's a lot to read for the interviewers for just one person.

I think there is a 1000 word max for the essay. Just write it in MS word (or equivalent) and use the 'word count' tool to make sure you are 1000 or under. Then copy and paste it to the online application.

I used Times New Roman 10Pt font.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD_hopeful said:
I think there is a 1000 word max for the essay. Just write it in MS word (or equivalent) and use the 'word count' tool to make sure you are 1000 or under. Then copy and paste it to the online application.

I used Times New Roman 10Pt font.
thanks! 1000 words it is!

Watch out though... when I did my PS in word and I used the word count, I had 900 and something and when I transferred it to the application, it told me I had too many characters. Be aware.

wimmcs said:
Watch out though... when I did my PS in word and I used the word count, I had 900 and something and when I transferred it to the application, it told me I had too many characters. Be aware.

You must know a lot of big words ;)

wimmcs said:

I remember reading this somewhere, that it's not the actual number of words that counts. A "word" is defined as something like 4 or 5 characters. It's good to know that the application program tells you when your essay is too long though -- I was paranoid that mine would just get chopped off after the limit, without me knowing it!