APPE rotations in Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P3 and I will be soon finalizing my options for my APPE rotations a couple of months. I have previously heard some students through my program try rotations in Africa, mostly for the HIV treatment. I'm planning to do a 2-year residency after graduation to specialize in infectious diseases. I would like to know if anyone here has done a rotation in Africa, how did you contact them, and how was the experience there.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a P3 and I will be soon finalizing my options for my APPE rotations a couple of months. I have previously heard some students through my program try rotations in Africa, mostly for the HIV treatment. I'm planning to do a 2-year residency after graduation to specialize in infectious diseases. I would like to know if anyone here has done a rotation in Africa, how did you contact them, and how was the experience there.

Thanks.

Your best bet is to contact your school's experiential education department. They would be the ones to help set up a rotation like this.

Dreamstar did you find out any information regarding the ID rotation in Africa? I would love more information on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe that your Director of APPE doesn't have information for you. Did you come up with nothing from your school?

I can't believe that your Director of APPE doesn't have information for you. Did you come up with nothing from your school?

Really? Do you really expect him to have contact in Zimbabwe? Lol.

OP, you will want to do your own homework, look into charitable organizations that goes there and then take that info to your coordinator to see if he can work out rest of the details for you.

Really? Do you really expect him to have contact in Zimbabwe? Lol.

OP, you will want to do your own homework, look into charitable organizations that goes there and then take that info to your coordinator to see if he can work out rest of the details for you.

He's not IN Africa NOW. He wants to do a rotation there.
Why is it so infallible to think that the school's APPE director would have contacts outside of where ever the student is located?

Maybe it is me, maybe I'm lucky...but we have options for rotations globally. Poor presumption on my part, I suppose, that his APPE director would be able to place him outside of his immediate city.

Unless it is a new school, in which case, he may be out of luck.

Don't they have to do site visits to ensure that the learning that is available is up t? How will he get it approved? It is not as simple as "do your homework, look for charitable organizations, etc.". He NEEDS to be working through his APPE director.

He's not IN Africa NOW. He wants to do a rotation there.
Why is it so infallible to think that the school's APPE director would have contacts outside of where ever the student is located?

Maybe it is me, maybe I'm lucky...but we have options for rotations globally. Poor presumption on my part, I suppose, that his APPE director would be able to place him outside of his immediate city.

Unless it is a new school, in which case, he may be out of luck.

Don't they have to do site visits to ensure that the learning that is available is up t? How will he get it approved? It is not as simple as "do your homework, look for charitable organizations, etc.". He NEEDS to be working through his APPE director.

Having contacts in Europe, Australia, even Asia is probably not a problem, but having one in sub-saharan africa is another story.

Since its likely both the APPE director or the student likely have no contact at all there, and the director has other students that he needs to take care off. OP needs to look up which groups might be possibilities for going to that, and THEN work through his APPE director. Other wise, the director might just blow the whole thing off as impractical hassle for 1 student.

Thanks.

Check out CIDRZ in Zambia...they have a website cidrz.org....A couple of students at my school did a rotation there..