Appeal a drug-related dismissal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CardinalGirl210

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would a professional school ever grant the appeal of a student's drug-related dismissal? Is there any leeway on that sort of thing? I would think the school's reputation and ethical reasons would not even warrant the possibility. If a school gives the right to appeal, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to continue in the program, right?

An acquaintance of mine failed a course and a drug test in her 3rd year of school and her school gives her the right to appeal the dismissal. She asked for me advice, and I told her that I'm not sure if she'll be able to continue school - she really messed up.

Can anyone offer any other advice?
 
Last edited:
Her school has a policy that if you fail the mandatory drug test before rotations, fail a random drug test, or refuse to take a drug test you are automatically dismissed from the program. Other schools don't have this policy? It doesn't seem that extreme to me since future pharmacists shouldn't be doing drugs...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some of our individual rotations require drug tests but the school doesn't require anything, they aren't allowed to.
 
Her school has a policy that if you fail the mandatory drug test before rotations, fail a random drug test, or refuse to take a drug test you are automatically dismissed from the program. Other schools don't have this policy? It doesn't seem that extreme to me since future pharmacists shouldn't be doing drugs...

Heh, say that to people in California, Washington, and Colorado. If I lived in those states, I'd be smoking weed pretty much every day. **** the federal government. States rights! I love how some of the states that have lax gun laws are so anti-marijuana.
 
I'm guessing that a successful appeal would depend on the person showing that their drug use will no longer be a problem ( ie they have went through an addiction program or joined NA or something along those lines.) This is the way state licensing boards, and many employers handle positive drug tests of their employees, so I'm guessing a college that allows appeals will do the same thing.
 
Would a professional school ever grant the appeal of a student's drug-related dismissal? Is there any leeway on that sort of thing? I would think the school's reputation and ethical reasons would not even warrant the possibility. If a school gives the right to appeal, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to continue in the program, right?

An acquaintance of mine failed a course and a drug test in her 3rd year of school and her school gives her the right to appeal the dismissal. She asked for me advice, and I told her that I'm not sure if she'll be able to continue school - she really messed up.

Can anyone offer any other advice?

Our school would require that you join peer assistance and complete whatever terms they lay out as requirements for keeping your license. (Law review anyone?)

It seems shady if a school would treat you differently than the state board would .. they have more to gain by keeping you licensed and progressing forward (tuition money!)
 
Honestly, if she failed a course and is doing illegal drugs she should not be in pharmacy school. She may be able to appeal, but in my opinion if a student fails a drug test they shouldn't be in pharmacy school and should be dismissed.
 
Last edited:
If there's holes in the system, they'll only be closed by coming to light repeatedly. Also, some crackheads do make real turn arounds in life. We don't know this person and therefore we don't know anything for sure.
 
Plus, schools are businesses too, granting an appeal to allow someone to continue to pay admission says nothing about this person's State Board of Pharmacy granting her a license. That is a risk she would have to inquire about or learn the hard way. Barack Obama smoked weed before, is he a bad president because of that? A lot of people would say he's a bad president, but they don't attribute it to that do they? I would employ a one time failed-drug screened person over a chronic alcoholic any day unless it was unlawful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad