Appealing 3rd year rotation grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funshine

at the fateful hour
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have success doing this? I've been surprised and disappointed in a couple of my evals for my current rotation. Plus, the people who I thought would give me good evals did not fill them out, so they're missing. I hate being "that student" who whines about grades, but I really can't risk getting yet another B+ on my transcript. Shelf exam is always bringing my grade down, but I can contest my faculty evals.

Should I go this route, esp. if I'm not planning to apply to this area (i.e. so I can risk pissing off the people in charge?)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No idea whether you would be successful or not, but I wouldn't do it...

Better to have a B+ and have the faculty not have a reason to dislike you...

If you were doing incredible on shelf exams, that might give you more credible cause for appealing, but I still wouldn't do it...

Is it too late to get those missing evals in? If not, I'd focus my energy on trying to track those faculty members and nicely but persistently reminding them...

Anyone have success doing this? I've been surprised and disappointed in a couple of my evals for my current rotation. Plus, the people who I thought would give me good evals did not fill them out, so they're missing. I hate being "that student" who whines about grades, but I really can't risk getting yet another B+ on my transcript. Shelf exam is always bringing my grade down, but I can contest my faculty evals.

Should I go this route, esp. if I'm not planning to apply to this area (i.e. so I can risk pissing off the people in charge?)

Thanks

this is going to fall on deaf ears unless you were really misunderstood. If terrible words were used such as "lazy", "incompetent", "disrespectful", "stupid/dumb" then maybe you could protest. Getting a B+ is considered "good" by some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been surprised and disappointed in a couple of my evals for my current rotation.

Surpised and disappointed aren't exactly appealable factors. If there is something specific you felt was un-kosher about the way grades were designated, or blatently untrue things contained in the evals, then you might be able to protest. But in a subjective system, you don't generally have much of a leg to stand on if you simply don't like the final grade. It's someone's opinion. And saying some people didn't hand in their evals isn't going to be persuasive -- the school got evals of you from somewhere, so you didn't wow someone.

I also agree that a B+ really isn't going to make or break you. When someone contests a grade that isn't horrid, it sometimes goes over badly -- like you are whining. If you got a truly bad grade, I could see you getting more steamed.

Thanks

Here's where your money is for this. Go to whoever is in charge of your grades and tell them "Oh, I worked with Dr. Whoever a lot, I'm surprised he didn't turn in an evaluation" or talk to Dr. Whoever and explain your situation and how much his feedback means to you or whatever floats your boat.

It's not good to contest the "average" to "okay" evaluations, it makes you look like a douche. We all get them, even the all stars among us, due to the nature of third year grading. Grin and bear it and try to be more "outstanding" next time I guess.

Yes, don't argue with a grade just because it was "low" and you feel you deserved better. You will be labeled a D-bag, for sure. However, if there is something specific you can point to, such as the lack of evals in your case, I would go ahead and bring it up in a polite, non-confrontational, non-demanding way. My girlfriend got an A changed to a B because the person evaluating her never even met her, let alone worked with her. They got evals from the actual attending with whom she worked and her grade got bumped.

Whining is bad. Legitimate complaints should be lodged and dealt with on a fair basis. Hopefully! :)

-X

Here's where your money is for this. Go to whoever is in charge of your grades and tell them "Oh, I worked with Dr. Whoever a lot, I'm surprised he didn't turn in an evaluation" or talk to Dr. Whoever and explain your situation and how much his feedback means to you or whatever floats your boat.

It's not good to contest the "average" to "okay" evaluations, it makes you look like a douche. We all get them, even the all stars among us, due to the nature of third year grading. Grin and bear it and try to be more "outstanding" next time I guess.

:laugh:

Try to make sure the people who know you well to fill out evals. Email them; call them, etc. Otherwise you will just get 7's all the way down from someone random.

Everyone has to take their lumps third year. Instead of trying to appeal a grade which I suspect would be near impossible unless a result of mathematical error, I recommend focusing on the next chance to nail an honors.

Thanks

why? what happens then?