Appearance for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yko0584

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this might be a silly question, but should I shave my beard even if its evenly cut very low or should I shave it all off. Do you think interviewers care about that? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to google, and search "sdn interview beard." There are a lot of threads out there that have discussed this over the years. :)

You can also use the SDN search, but sometimes, I like the way that google yields results better. Hah!

It could have been easier to say based on what I read yeah or no

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of my 5 interviews, I kept my beard for one of them lol it's fine as long as it looks clean!

Out of my 5 interviews, I kept my beard for one of them lol it's fine as long as it looks clean!

Did you get accepted to that one school you kept your beard? Were all the other interviewers clean shaved. Also is it appropriate for a short goatee?

It could have been easier to say based on what I read yeah or no

No, not really--it is debated quite a bit! It is always helpful to read others' experiences with issues. I think you could actually gain quite a bit of knowledge through reading the many threads. Google/SDN search is always my first route, but I'm definitely not afraid to make a thread if I'm looking for more information. It's just a good place to start, and you didn't indicate in your original post if you had looked for past experiences. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get accepted to that one school you kept your beard? Were all the other interviewers clean shaved. Also is it appropriate for a short goatee?

It was a January interview so I haven't found out yet and 2 other guys in my other interviews also had a beard. Uhmm I'm not a big fan of the goatee so I can't really advise on that but I kept a clean/short full beard, as well as the other 2 applicants. Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
No, not really--it is debated quite a bit! It is always helpful to read others' experiences with issues. I think you could actually gain quite a bit of knowledge through reading the many threads. Google/SDN search is always my first route, but I'm definitely not afraid to make a thread if I'm looking for more information. It's just a good place to start, and you didn't indicate in your original post if you had looked for past experiences. :)

If the schools don't care too much I might keep it, but if there some sort of controversy I will shave it all off. I just want to be on the safe side, but thanks for your input!

I don't think it's a deal breaker. 3 of my friends kept their beards and all of them got multiple acceptances. I personally go in with no beard but that's how I am on a regular basis. I don't think it will hurt your chances at a dental school interview as long as you don't have one of those beards that grows in random patches.

But if you are worried that it will hurt your chances , you can always get rid of it :)

I know this might be a silly question, but should I shave my beard even if its evenly cut very low or should I shave it all off. Do you think interviewers care about that? Thanks!
personally I have been clean shaven for all my interviews. just looks more professional imo. idk man i would shave just to be safe. you gotta play the part you know what im saying... worst case scenario is it'll take you a week or so to grow it back.

7 acceptances with goatee. Wouldn't have done it any other way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like others said, if you can keep it looking clean/professional/well-groomed and not trashy then keep the face hair.

Personally, I always shave it off in situations like this.

I think some dudes can pull it off really well and make it look formal. However, the majority look like a stupid hipster trying something new.
You should ask friends to state their honest opinion. Or even better, ask strangers because they don't feel the need to give you a compliment.

2-3 days worth of stubble on every interview.....people over think way to much. Be confident and as long as you don't look totally un-presentable and you'll be fine.

I have a beard or goatee normally. Went with the neat goatee look 3 interviews 2 acceptance 1 waitlist. Was the only one with facial hair but I didn't care it's who I am. If having facial hair makes you feel good rock it.

I agree with some of the above posters that people really overthink this. If you normally have facial hair that is neat, then keep it! Some men just look better with facial hair. My Dad, for instance, looks WEIRD without a mustache.

My brother grows a beard and he trims it down to make its look polished so it's not one of those beards that hangs. (If that makes any sense at all) I personally think you should do whatever you feel the most comfortable and have the most confidence in.

Dentistry is a conservative field... I would say shave for the interview and grow it back once u get in!