APPIC vs. APA vs. CPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewPsychStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone clearly explain the differences between the APPIC vs. APA vs. CPA internships? I am trying to find clear-cut stats on matching at APA approved internships for a couple universities, but it seems like some places go out of their way to bury the numbers under APPIC and CPA by grouping them all together. Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, internships can be dually APA/APPIC accredited or accredited by the APA-only or APPIC-only. As they open up many, many more job opportunities, internships that are APA- accredited are much more prestigious and desirable than their APPIC-only counterparts. If you want evidence, go to www.apa.org (classfieds) and look at the jobs available to those who do not attend an APA-accredited internship versus the jobs available to those who do. Although both can obtain jobs, those who go to APA-accredited internships usually obtain more prestigious and higher paying positions.

As far as APA + APPIC accredited sites, there is no advantage to attending these verus APA-only.

Can't speak for CPA.

From my understanding All APA are APPIC approved.....but not all APPIC approved sites are APA-acred. CPA is a state level acred.

Realistically: APA > APPIC > CPA.

This has been writing on a bit in regard to APA v. APPIC with a bit on CPA.....as they more than any other state have people pushing CPA for those who want to stay local. There are so many people trying to go/stay in CA, it has created an artifical market for CA.

APA won't close any doors for you. APPIC closes a few doors (VA, some of the more competitive jobs, a few states). CPA is more limited and you may have problems getting licensed elsewhere, but YMMV.

Here is a thread that has some info: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=391523

*edited to clarify*

CPA = California Psych Assoc

Canadian Psych Assoc = APA in regard to training standards (in the eyes of most everyone). A number of years ago there were APA+CPA approved sites, but that is/was being phased out. There are far fewer Canadian sites too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
NewPsychStudent-- by CPA, do you mean California or Canadian Psychological Association?

CPA = Canadian Psychological Association

CPA = Canadian Psychological Association

...it also means this thing http://www.cpapsych.org/, which T4C was basing his response on. The acronym alone isn't enough to be sure what the op meant.

If the OP did mean Canadian, then it's a little fuzzy right now. Canadian sites are having apa accreditation phased out. What's supposed to happen is that Canadian accreditation will be equivalent to APA accreditation. I'm betting that's what will happen for academic/research positions, but there will likely be some wonkiness when it comes to state-by-state rules for licensing.

I apologize for not clarifying. Since I've never heard it mentioned before, I have to assume CPA means Colorado Psychological Association. Thanks for all your help.

Uh, random... :bullcrap:

On a more relevant note, I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to the Canadian Psych Assoc. based on their question regarding APPIC. When speaking about internships, they are accreditted by a mixture of APPIC, APA and CPA meaning the American and Canadian Psych Associations, not state level associations.