Technology Apple Remote Desktop Connection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a way that when I'm traveling, I can connect to my computer at home to retrieve documents, access programs, etc. As many of you know, I'm using Mac OS X (as I frequently bring that to light). :)

Is Apple's Remote Desktop Connection software what I need?

I will need to register my router with dyndns.org or something similar since I do not have a permanent IP address.

Can I use the built-in networking of my Powerbook to connect to my desktop through the internet? I can do this now through my home network, but I want to be able to do it from school, my parents' home, etc. I'm not sure if Apple's built-in networking connection utility is compatible with dyndns.org to obtain the IP address to log into my computer.

Thanks! (I'm betting Wingy has an answer for this.)

Members don't see this ad.

I use a vnc client coupled with an SSH tunnel and a vnc server at home.

Or, at least I used to use this, back when I had a home computer and no laptop.

Here's a summary of how to rig up your server. (Provided that's also a Mac): http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.20/20.07/VNCOverSSH/index.html

There are many variations on this sort of theme... Let me know if you have any specific questions 'cause I played with this kind o setup for a long time.

I have one warning with regard to this kind of setup: Change your SSH port on the server to something other than the default, 22, because if SSH is often a vector for hacking.