Technology apple switching to intel chips

Started by bulldog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

southerndoc said:
I really doubted this at first, but there are so many news stories about this that I'm now starting to believe Apple will be switching to Intel!

Why not AMD? I think they will surpass Intel in chip quality, speed, and stability.

Yeah there are lots of stories, but every few months i have to endure a new round of rumours about an Australian iTunes music store - rumours count for little , I'll believe it when i see it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JobsFan said:
Interesting times
Indeed. I think the entire Mac community is still saying "WTF just happened?!?"

On another note... I don't know the specifics of instructions per clock cycle and performance of RISC v. CISC, but I wonder how the PowerPC 970 2.7 GHz compares to the 3.6 GHz Pentium 4?

Surely Apple will not release Intel-based computers until Intel brings 64-bit computing to market. It would be stupid for us to move from a 64-bit platform to a 32-bit and then back to 64-bit only a year or so later.

The computer that Jobs used for his WWDC keynote address seemed pretty fast. (You can watch it on Apple.com.) I'd really be interested in seeing benchmarks comparing the two fastest processors from each chipset.
 
southerndoc said:
I'd really be interested in seeing benchmarks comparing the two fastest processors from each chipset.

From macrumors

"On the left is the Xbench under emulation and on the right is Xbench running on a Dual 2.7GHz PowerMac G5."

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24837

The intel macs are 12 + months away - I'd be expecting Intel to ramp up the speed by then (4GHz P4s? 2.4 GHz PMs ?)

Who cares about speed on Office anyway? - I think Rosetta should make it quick enough at launch, and hopefully adobe will have native code at launch time.

Honestly though - I'm more interested in longer battery life.
I'd like a 1gig ultra low voltage iBook with a BIG battery and 12hrs b/w charges!

If I were looking for a laptop today I'd still buy a Mac, but if I were looking to buy in 8-12months time - that would be a conundrum.
 
I still think dual core G4s would have been much better with Altivac than a faster pentium without it and moreover emulation (Rosetta or no rosetta) is still an emulation and not 100% .. as some news articles mentioned it could just be a pressure tactics to get IBM in line, which is going more after the gaming industry with its dual-core and triple-core powerPCs ..... why can't they churn out low-voltage dual core for powerbooks anyway.....
 
JobsFan said:
From macrumors

"On the left is the Xbench under emulation and on the right is Xbench running on a Dual 2.7GHz PowerMac G5."

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24837

The intel macs are 12 + months away - I'd be expecting Intel to ramp up the speed by then (4GHz P4s? 2.4 GHz PMs ?)

Who cares about speed on Office anyway? - I think Rosetta should make it quick enough at launch, and hopefully adobe will have native code at launch time.

Honestly though - I'm more interested in longer battery life.
I'd like a 1gig ultra low voltage iBook with a BIG battery and 12hrs b/w charges!

If I were looking for a laptop today I'd still buy a Mac, but if I were looking to buy in 8-12months time - that would be a conundrum.

I agree on the battery life...... however I have to buy a new windoze PC for my school as they REQUIRE it ...... I was so looking forward to switching to Macs.....have been following the progress from G4 to G5 for nearly two years now..... it doesn't seem likely now that we will ever get G5 or dual-core G4s 🙁 sad times and I am not sure what advantage Mac will have over windows without Altivac for graphics (I might be wrong but it was my understanding that altivac unit was what made macs better at handling graphics/movies etc)
 
CanIMakeIt said:
I agree on the battery life...... however I have to buy a new windoze PC for my school as they REQUIRE it ...... I was so looking forward to switching to Macs.....have been following the progress from G4 to G5 for nearly two years now..... it doesn't seem likely now that we will ever get G5 or dual-core G4s 🙁 sad times and I am not sure what advantage Mac will have over windows without Altivac for graphics (I might be wrong but it was my understanding that altivac unit was what made macs better at handling graphics/movies etc)

Just buy the windoze PC now, but get nothing fancy. In about 2 years of time, you should be able to get a program to run OS X on it - its inevitable.
 
Here you go, guys! :meanie:

693.gif