Appleton and Lange Qbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TY06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a good question book? ITS OLD.

WHAT OTHER BOOKS ARE GOOD.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about AandL, sorry.

Along the same lines, what do people think of the NMS question book? I think it is kind of hard/more nitpicky than qbank and I am wondering if it is worth my time with a week left to study...

I liked it, last years MVP recommended it too, but are we talking about the same book cause the book I have is from 2002 this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-8246403-6292733?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

As for NMS I think it blows very nit picky on detail, but after doing it you sure well learn alot of detail, weather it well be on boards or not I don't know haven't take step 1 yet.

As for other books I got advice from last years MVP that pretest clinical vignettes is pretty good. I found it good cause it made you think, not like nms where you knew the factoid or not. I also liked goljan's Rapid Review for the USMLE step 1 Qbook, it's in vignettes too and makes you think not just pure one sentence questions. You want more vignettes try Blueprints, but i didn't find it too challenging.

Long Dong said:
I liked it, last years MVP recommended it too, but are we talking about the same book cause the book I have is from 2002 this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-8246403-6292733?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

As for NMS I think it blows very nit picky on detail, but after doing it you sure well learn alot of detail, weather it well be on boards or not I don't know haven't take step 1 yet.

As for other books I got advice from last years MVP that pretest clinical vignettes is pretty good. I found it good cause it made you think, not like nms where you knew the factoid or not. I also liked goljan's Rapid Review for the USMLE step 1 Qbook, it's in vignettes too and makes you think not just pure one sentence questions. You want more vignettes try Blueprints, but i didn't find it too challenging.

Long, your an ms at my school. man, it sounds like youve read every book in the world and did every question. how did you find time! youre amazing man. im sure you will do great. rock the test bro!

Members don't see this ad :)
TY06 said:
Long, your an ms at my school. man, it sounds like youve read every book in the world and did every question. how did you find time! youre amazing man. im sure you will do great. rock the test bro!

Longdong sounds amazing. Long...dong???? :D Anyways, I agree, he sounds like a freakin' machine. Much props to you, man. Oh, BTW, I did like all 1200 A&L Questions. I thought they were easier than Qbank or Qbook. In my honest opinion (I haven't taken Step I...that will take place 2 days from now), I think MOST of the questions will be similar to A&L. Of course, I expect to see some ridiculous ones ala Qbank. It happens. But, supposedly, we all make it through by the third try! :D

Atlas...out.

TY06 said:
I hope I do okay, but I've only done alot of questions cause I'm a ******* who can't retain anything unless I saw it as a question. I also tend to fall a sleep after staring at a review book for more then 2 hours, so I did questions to try to stay awake.

A&L is ok although there are some simple typos. I don't have any issues with it yet, as opposed to Qbank.

Qbank explanation:
"Juvenile Polyposis syndrome does not cause colon cancer."

Robbins:
....the rare autosomal dominant juvenile polyposis syndrome, in which there are multiple (50 to 100) juvenile polyps in the gastrointestinal tract, does carry a risk of adenomas and hence adenocarcinoma. Mutations in the SMAD4/DPC4 gene (which encodes a TGF-β signaling intermediate) account for some cases of juvenile polyposis syndrome.[79] p859

Sometimes I get the feeling that some of the Qbank questions are written by a bunch of commercially savvy teenagers who copy information out of First Aid.

i'm doing A & L right now and I think compared to Qbank and the Robbins question book, it is pretty easy. I'm not so sure it is the best use of time, but i'll probably finish it anyways.

And to completely contradict myself, if the questions (and answer options) aren't easy, they are about some random rare metabolic disorder that you've never heard mentioned in your life (at least that's how i felt in the biochem section!)