Applicant Match History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alittlestory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how far back the "applicant match history" goes?

This may (or may not) be a new thing for 2011...
Before extending an interview, program staff will need to identify and check applicants in the NRMP system. To assist programs with this process, ERAS has created instructions and a tutorial to create a "NRMP Bulk Upload" filter/sort to identify all applicants with a PDWS status of "selected to interview" who are not graduating in 2011. NRMP Bulk Upload InstructionsPDF); NRMP Bulk Upload Tutorial

The NRMP will provide separate instructions for importing the list; checking the applicants; and analyzing the report created in their system. www.nrmp.org
I understand it's used to make sure people aren't "double matching"- but why don't they give us (the applicants) any details about this? We should be privy to this too!

Members don't see this ad.

The applicant match history feature in NRMP is old, but we used to have to look people up one at a time. basically we used it in the scramble, to make sure that the people we were interviewing / offering did not actually have matches. This year, we submit lists of potential interviewees to make sure that they are, in fact, matchable. It's new this year.

Does anyone know how far back the "applicant match history" goes?

I understand it's used to make sure people aren't "double matching"- but why don't they give us (the applicants) any details about this? We should be privy to this too!

Privy to what exactly? Your own Match history? Assuming you haven't suffered a TBI since last year, you should probably remember this. I'm not sure what exactly you think they're trying to hide from you here.

gutonc- why so antagonistic?

Simply, I think that as paying applicants we should know what information programs will receive, what changes are being implemented etc. This is America, land of "transparency".

You'd be shocked at the information programs can view, dating all the way back to when we took our MCATS (afterall, it's the same AAMC ID).

I realize that double matching is a problem, but for those of us who have switched specialties, had a change of heart, resigned, been forced to resign, relocated etc. this is one more filter that will make matching into a good program that much more of a hurdle. That's all I'm saying.

The applicant match history feature in NRMP is old, but we used to have to look people up one at a time. basically we used it in the scramble, to make sure that the people we were interviewing / offering did not actually have matches. This year, we submit lists of potential interviewees to make sure that they are, in fact, matchable. It's new this year.

I just got off the phone with NRMP- and yes, the applicant match history is somewhat "Required" this year before extending interviews to applicants...

The lady I spoke to told me that the history dates back at least to 2005, but does not give any details.

I.E. Main Match, 2005 Psychiatry Hospital XYZ

This could potentially be confusing for programs who are "Filtering" based on previous matches... because some of us do want to switch career paths (and are no longer in a commitment with a program)

You'd be shocked at the information programs can view, dating all the way back to when we took our MCATS (afterall, it's the same AAMC ID).

We can't see your MCATs. Let's not get carried away....

This could potentially be confusing for programs who are "Filtering" based on previous matches... because some of us do want to switch career paths (and are no longer in a commitment with a program)

We can filter based upon whether you've done a prior residency or not. That's no different than last year, and this NRMP thing doesn't change that at all. All this does is look for people who are INELIGIBLE to match because they have violated a prior match -- not resigned, left, etc. When I submit my search, all I got back was a message stating that there were no match issues with any of my interview candidates. That's all. There's nothing sinister going on here, unless someone is a match violator and is now trying to match again -- but even in that case, when I would rank the person in NRMP the system would alert me that they cannot be ranked. Now I know before I interview them, instead of after.

The only "sinister" aspect is that it is technically a match violation for me to take someone who is a prior match violator outside the match, so this new check would also prevent that -- I might not ever check otherwise. It's not clear to me that this aspect of the match contract is even legal -- if someone applies to my program outside of the match and I offer them a spot outside of the match, I don't see how the NRMP can tell me what I can and can't do. But regardless, this policy change affects a minimal number of people.

So if someone were to rank your program, match in a separate speciality and reapply at your same program the following year. Would you know?

I'd know you matched in a different specialty -- you'd list that on your application. Otherwise it would completely depend on whether I remember the details from last year.

I'd know you matched in a different specialty -- you'd list that on your application. Otherwise it would completely depend on whether I remember the details from last year.
But could you check I'd hypothetically interviewed? Or only If you remembered me

I keep notes from every year in a big spreadsheet. Very easy to check. No idea how others might do it.
I keep notes from every year in a big spreadsheet. Very easy to check. No idea how others might do it.
Notes from people you interviewed only? Or all applicants? Would that hurt an applicants chances. Example, If they applied anesthesia and IM and then interviewed at your program a 2nd time in IM cause they had a change of heart

Notes from people you interviewed only? Or all applicants? Would that hurt an applicants chances. Example, If they applied anesthesia and IM and then interviewed at your program a 2nd time in IM cause they had a change of heart
Would you view that negatively?

It would really depend upon the circumstances. Yes I would view it negatively. I would be unlikely to interview them again.
Does your program screen out reapplicants? If they didn't interview there the first time but simply had put in an application

Does your program screen out reapplicants? If they didn't interview there the first time but simply had put in an application
Thank you for your honesty!

You're probably going to get more useful information if you actually include details pertinent to your question rather than hypothetical 'would you consider this applicant'.

Reactions: 1 user
You're probably going to get more useful information if you actually include details pertinent to your question rather than hypothetical 'would you consider this applicant'.
Thank you. My main question is basically if you reapplied to a field a second time, would a program screen out your application as a reapplicant? Or would they know? Especially if you didn't interview there the first time you applied

You keep asking the same question, or vague questions, over and over. If you're a reapplicant, then you've already graduated from medical school. Much would depend upon what you did in the interim. Whether you applied prior, and what you had prior matched into, might or might not play a role. There are potential funding issues if you've already started a program in another field (although in you matched in prelim surgery, so this isn't an issue).

You've asked the same question in multiple threads: Other - Swapping residency | Student Doctor Network, and How difficult is it to change specialties from advanced position? | Student Doctor Network. Please don't do this.

Thank you. My main question is basically if you reapplied to a field a second time, would a program screen out your application as a reapplicant? Or would they know? Especially if you didn't interview there the first time you applied
Again, you're not really giving particularly useful information.

In general, if you applied to a program previously and either didn't get an interview or did not match, the question you need to ask yourself is "What has changed about my application that would lead me to expect a different result," not, "Does this program screen out re-applicants." Regardless of whether or not you are automatically screened out, if you apply again with essentially the same application but a year further out from graduation, then you should expect the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.