Application advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benoir

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I underestimated my course load this spring, and I will only be mildly prepared for the DAT at the beginning of this summer. I will be applying this coming year so what would you recommend....

A)Take the DAT and apply in June and graduate in the fall.
B)Take the DAT and apply in September and graduate in the winter.
C)Take the Dat in May AND September and apply in September.
D)Something else entirely.

Would applying 3 months later be worth a point or two on the DAT, and would taking it twice be detrimental?

I'm leaning towards C at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what you should do:

Apply in May, take the DAT before August, and graduate next year (by May/June 2009)

Never underestimate the significance and importance of getting your application in ASAP!

Good luck!

I would recommend (and I know quite a bit after doing this twice and getting in to four school the second time and no interviews the first time)
submitting your application at the latest the second week after it opens in may (make sure you get your transcripts and Letters of recommendations in at this time too or you'll be sorry as you wait for a couple extra weeks to a month for aadsass to finalize your application while others are already submitted officially),

Then study for and take the DAT, and submit, actually fax, your scores first to all the schools to get them there as fast as possible (this may be overkill but it didn't hurt), and then submit them on aadsass-around the first week of july.
If you wait till august like I did my first time it won't kill you, but your chances will go down slightly at some schools as they start looking at applications mid july, and this matters unless you have amazing stats.
Lastly I highly recommend only studying for 2 months instead of the whole 4 mo of the summer. I learned the hard way that you can get equally prepared in two months as you can in four, as long as you really focus (i.e. 8 hour days with a study partner every day except weekends-or less if you can pull it off) My buddy and I made a rule that if we showed up after 8am in the library we had to buy the other guy lunch and it was the most effective thing we did especially because we actually enforced it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with doubledizzle13 and tamkhan.

submit the application in may and get everything in as early as possible.

take the dat late june/early july. i dont think you send dat scores to aadsas. you have to tell ada to send your scores to all the schools you are applying to.

i think applying in september is really really late. i wouldnt even apply if i was planning on applying that late.........

The problem is that the school I would really prefer to go to isn't in AASDS....

"Application packets for admission may be obtained from the Office of Admissions after September 1st of the year prior to anticipated matriculation."

I think I will get my application in late may/early June and take the DAT early august/late July.

The problem is that the school I would really prefer to go to isn't in AASDS....

"Application packets for admission may be obtained from the Office of Admissions after September 1st of the year prior to anticipated matriculation."

I think I will get my application in late may/early June and take the DAT early august/late July.

i didnt know that...........

anyways, i think your current plans are fine.

Ahh :( I'm in Canada and I write my DAT in NOVEMBER!! BAH! So I don't know what is going to happen - I'm contemplating writing the American DAT in august? I don't know because the prep course I am taking does not have an organic chemistry component!

Ahh :( I'm in Canada and I write my DAT in NOVEMBER!! BAH! So I don't know what is going to happen - I'm contemplating writing the American DAT in august? I don't know because the prep course I am taking does not have an organic chemistry component!

Unless you have a 3.9 GPA, and are dead sure of obtaining 24+ on the DAT, I'd suggest you take the US DAT in the summer. November scores will not be available before end of December, and that is certainly awfully late for most US schools.

Like everybody else said submit your application ASAP. Take the DAT later because the DAT doesn't have to be processed by AADSAS it get sent directly to the schools. Get your transcripts and LOR in with your application.