Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been reading these threads for a while now, and wanted to get some advice from everyone. I'm a non-trad with an MPH, lots of research in college and grad school, followed by three years of working with an ophthalmologist doing high-visibility research, (five publications in the major Ophthalmology journals so far). I'm applying this cycle to OHSU (in-state for me) and then some others around CA and New England. I'd love to go to Stanford or Yale for their curricula and international opportunities. I'm also applying to some schools that seem non-trad friendly (Cornell and Einstein, maybe UCSF), and some others.
Anyway, I feel like my AMCAS is pretty good, I am happy with my ECs and my essay. My GPA is a 3.69, with an English minor. The only problem is my MCAT is a 31S (10PS, 10BS, 11VR). I am waffling about whether to retake on July 29. I feel like I could probably get a 12 in BS and maybe 11 or 12 in PS if I worked really hard. But I am worried that delaying my application until almost September would cancel out any benefits from the retest. Right now my MCAT is on the very low end for the schools I'm most interested in (but mid-range for OHSU), and I wonder how much it would help to boost that score into a more comfortable range. It's the biggest weakness in my application, and I don't know how much my other strengths might balance that score. I'd hate to miss my chance just because I didn't take the risk on a retest. But I'd also hate to miss my window of opportunity.
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I've been reading these threads for a while now, and wanted to get some advice from everyone. I'm a non-trad with an MPH, lots of research in college and grad school, followed by three years of working with an ophthalmologist doing high-visibility research, (five publications in the major Ophthalmology journals so far). I'm applying this cycle to OHSU (in-state for me) and then some others around CA and New England. I'd love to go to Stanford or Yale for their curricula and international opportunities. I'm also applying to some schools that seem non-trad friendly (Cornell and Einstein, maybe UCSF), and some others.
Anyway, I feel like my AMCAS is pretty good, I am happy with my ECs and my essay. My GPA is a 3.69, with an English minor. The only problem is my MCAT is a 31S (10PS, 10BS, 11VR). I am waffling about whether to retake on July 29. I feel like I could probably get a 12 in BS and maybe 11 or 12 in PS if I worked really hard. But I am worried that delaying my application until almost September would cancel out any benefits from the retest. Right now my MCAT is on the very low end for the schools I'm most interested in (but mid-range for OHSU), and I wonder how much it would help to boost that score into a more comfortable range. It's the biggest weakness in my application, and I don't know how much my other strengths might balance that score. I'd hate to miss my chance just because I didn't take the risk on a retest. But I'd also hate to miss my window of opportunity.
Any thoughts?

Personally, I would not retake the MCAT if I were you. Apply as is and see what happens. The only reason I would retake it is if I studied my tail off for it and knew that I will significantly improve my score. By retaking it later, you also lose your current window of opportunity, i.e. earlier application submission -> earlier interview with less candidates in the pool at that time -> higher chance of getting accepted. Aside from MCAT, you look like a strong candidate to me, so focus on highlighting other aspects of your application and you'll be fine.

Hi All,
I have taken the MCAT recently to get higher than a previous 23O. I actually scored lower and wondering is it possible to submit my amcas application and request my scores from the upcoming Jan 27th MCAT be considered for the 2012 class???

Members don't see this ad :)
x

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have taken the MCAT recently to get higher than a previous 23O. I actually scored lower and wondering is it possible to submit my amcas application and request my scores from the upcoming Jan 27th MCAT be considered for the 2012 class???

No chance for MD schools. Very very little chance for DO schools. Dont rush it. Clearly you are doing something wrong. Figure out what it is and fix it. Especially if you went down from a 23.

Having schools hold off on your application until January is way too late. Do what you need to do to get yourself ready for the January MCAT and apply for 2013 entering class.

Take more time and aim for a later mcat for the 2013 entering DO class. Something is going wrong- is 3 months enough time to fix it? No sense in rushing these things.