Application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdphdthrowaway

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all

I am an MD/PhD hopeful with some application questions. I am in a predicament and could use some wisdom.

I am questioning whether to apply this cycle (after junior year) or next cycle (after senior year/graduation). My reason for this is solely based off the research that I would be doing during my senior year.

I have been heavily involved in research and have a second and third author publication so far.

My question is that by the time I graduate, I should have a first author as well and have completed my senior thesis.

Would holding off on applying to get the first author/thesis completed be advantageous?

I really would not like to take a break year, but if it were to put me in a better situation, I think I would have to consider it.

Thanks
 
Would holding off on applying to get the first author/thesis completed be advantageous?

I never recommend holding up applications simply for the possibility of obtaining more manuscripts. You don't know if the data/publication will actually come through. If you truly have excellent experience already, I don't think a first author manuscript will help your application significantly. I mean, I don't think publications are a big deal anyway--it's the experience/letters/knowledge that counts. So an extra year in the lab on its own might help for the experience/letters/knowledge, but again if you have significant experience anyway the gain is minimal.

The undergrad thesis itself is essentially meaningless for application purposes.
 
Last edited:
I never recommend holding up applications simply for the possibility of obtaining more manuscripts. You don't know if the data/publication will actually come through. If you truly have excellent experience already, I don't think a first author manuscript will help your application significantly. I mean, I don't think publications are a big deal anyway--it's the experience/letters/knowledge that counts. So an extra year in the lab on its own might help for the experience/letters/knowledge, but again if you have significant experience anyway the gain is minimal.

The undergrad thesis itself is essentially meaningless for application purposes.

Well that's relieving 🙂

Thanks for your input!