Application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphdthrowaway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I am an MD/PhD hopeful with some application questions. I am in a predicament and could use some wisdom.

I am questioning whether to apply this cycle (after junior year) or next cycle (after senior year/graduation). My reason for this is solely based off the research that I would be doing during my senior year.

I have been heavily involved in research and have a second and third author publication so far.

My question is that by the time I graduate, I should have a first author as well and have completed my senior thesis.

Would holding off on applying to get the first author/thesis completed be advantageous?

I really would not like to take a break year, but if it were to put me in a better situation, I think I would have to consider it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Would holding off on applying to get the first author/thesis completed be advantageous?

I never recommend holding up applications simply for the possibility of obtaining more manuscripts. You don't know if the data/publication will actually come through. If you truly have excellent experience already, I don't think a first author manuscript will help your application significantly. I mean, I don't think publications are a big deal anyway--it's the experience/letters/knowledge that counts. So an extra year in the lab on its own might help for the experience/letters/knowledge, but again if you have significant experience anyway the gain is minimal.

The undergrad thesis itself is essentially meaningless for application purposes.

Last edited:
I never recommend holding up applications simply for the possibility of obtaining more manuscripts. You don't know if the data/publication will actually come through. If you truly have excellent experience already, I don't think a first author manuscript will help your application significantly. I mean, I don't think publications are a big deal anyway--it's the experience/letters/knowledge that counts. So an extra year in the lab on its own might help for the experience/letters/knowledge, but again if you have significant experience anyway the gain is minimal.

The undergrad thesis itself is essentially meaningless for application purposes.

Well that's relieving :)

Thanks for your input!