• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Application advice

mdphdthrowaway

Feb 13, 2013
Hello all

I am an MD/PhD hopeful with some application questions. I am in a predicament and could use some wisdom.

I am questioning whether to apply this cycle (after junior year) or next cycle (after senior year/graduation). My reason for this is solely based off the research that I would be doing during my senior year.

I have been heavily involved in research and have a second and third author publication so far.

My question is that by the time I graduate, I should have a first author as well and have completed my senior thesis.

Would holding off on applying to get the first author/thesis completed be advantageous?

I really would not like to take a break year, but if it were to put me in a better situation, I think I would have to consider it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
  1. Attending Physician
Would holding off on applying to get the first author/thesis completed be advantageous?

I never recommend holding up applications simply for the possibility of obtaining more manuscripts. You don't know if the data/publication will actually come through. If you truly have excellent experience already, I don't think a first author manuscript will help your application significantly. I mean, I don't think publications are a big deal anyway--it's the experience/letters/knowledge that counts. So an extra year in the lab on its own might help for the experience/letters/knowledge, but again if you have significant experience anyway the gain is minimal.

The undergrad thesis itself is essentially meaningless for application purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mdphdthrowaway

Feb 13, 2013
I never recommend holding up applications simply for the possibility of obtaining more manuscripts. You don't know if the data/publication will actually come through. If you truly have excellent experience already, I don't think a first author manuscript will help your application significantly. I mean, I don't think publications are a big deal anyway--it's the experience/letters/knowledge that counts. So an extra year in the lab on its own might help for the experience/letters/knowledge, but again if you have significant experience anyway the gain is minimal.

The undergrad thesis itself is essentially meaningless for application purposes.

Well that's relieving :)

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.