Application and Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stacy265

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I know that PTCAS isn't open until July 5 but I wanted to start thinking about patient experiences that I've had and writing them down. I was wondering if we were allowed to include patient names in our essays or does that technically violate HIPAA (i.e. would that make PT schools not want to make me?). If I worked with a patient, let's call her Susan for example, could I use her name in my essay? Would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Second question is about the application. Could anyone tell me how the verification process works? I've peaked at the 2017/2018 cycle just to get an idea of what the PTCAS layout would be like. When we input our reference information, PT verification hours, etc., does that email get sent immediately to the reference, or does that only happen once your application is submitted?

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I know that PTCAS isn't open until July 5 but I wanted to start thinking about patient experiences that I've had and writing them down. I was wondering if we were allowed to include patient names in our essays or does that technically violate HIPAA (i.e. would that make PT schools not want to make me?). If I worked with a patient, let's call her Susan for example, could I use her name in my essay? Would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Second question is about the application. Could anyone tell me how the verification process works? I've peaked at the 2017/2018 cycle just to get an idea of what the PTCAS layout would be like. When we input our reference information, PT verification hours, etc., does that email get sent immediately to the reference, or does that only happen once your application is submitted?

Thanks for all the help!

I wouldn’t include the patients name. All you have to say is the patient and you will be fine. I don’t think it looks professional to name drop.

For the verification process there are like 3 steps for each section. For instance for the LOR’s it’s you sending the request, step 2 is them accepting/denying, step 3 is them submitting/completing the letter. Once you save the LOR’s info it automatically sends an email to them.

Reactions: 1 user