Application and Interview Timeline while going abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I will be applying in the upcoming cycle but am also planning on going abroad this coming April to teach English in Korea. My current plan is to have all my documents gathered before I head over then send everything right when the cycle starts. Will I have any problem with submitting the primary and secondary applications while abroad in Korea? Anything I should look out for? I should be able to order internet service for my apartment while there. As for interviews, the contract I am after for in Korea should end by October/November so I am trying to leave all of November for Interviews, which I will mention in my application, then maybe fulfill another 6 month contract in Korea or Japan after all my interviews are taken care of. Anyone see any red flags in my plan??

My LizzyM score is just above 70, which isn't too low but nothing to brag about either, so hopefully some of them don't trash me for asking for a November interview.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings,

I will be applying in the upcoming cycle but am also planning on going abroad this coming April to teach English in Korea. My current plan is to have all my documents gathered before I head over then send everything right when the cycle starts. Will I have any problem with submitting the primary and secondary applications while abroad in Korea? Anything I should look out for? I should be able to order internet service for my apartment while there. As for interviews, the contract I am after for in Korea should end by October/November so I am trying to leave all of November for Interviews, which I will mention in my application, then maybe fulfill another 6 month contract in Korea or Japan after all my interviews are taken care of. Anyone see any red flags in my plan??

My LizzyM score is just above 70, which isn't too low but nothing to brag about either, so hopefully some of them don't trash me for asking for a November interview.
Thanks!

You should have no problem pushing interviews for November or submitting your application from Korea. They are generally better connected than we are (sometimes too much so, lol). The only challenge is not every school may grant you an interview by November, even with an application submitted early. I had interview offers as late as March in my cycle and several in the intervening months in between October and that time. That you will have all of your interview invites by November is not a guarantee in any sense of the word so it's important to keep that in mind and be flexible.

Reactions: 1 user
This should work if you communicate early and clearly to each school that you are available for interviews from date __ to __. The one problem I see is that the AAMC annual meeting is in early November and most schools do not interview because the admissions dean is at the meeting. Schools also suspend interviews during Thanksgiving holiday week because student tour guides and staff are out of the office and the school is closed and travel is really chaotic and expensive. So, there aren't many interview days in November compared with October or January.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses! I see. Which chunk of time would be best to come back for? I might be able to manage 2 two week trips back to the states. If I went that route, would it be best to set two weeks in October and two weeks in January? ? I was always under the impression that November/December were hot months for interviews.

After reviewing school interview timings in other threads, I am starting to consider another possibility. Do you think with my stats ( that I have listed here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/chances-and-school-list-revision.1115624/#post-16062564) that I would have enough clout to ask for interviews in August and January? Are those months hot enough for me to get a good enough number of interviews. Kind of scary not being able to offer such a large chunk of months for interview scheduling. This would be amazing because it would fit in with the assigned time-off for schools abroad and there would be little to no butting heads between me and the school directors.

all of this taking into account I send in my app immediately and finish secondaries immediately.

Last edited: