application and lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I apply to Howard if I am not African American? I have heard not to,

My gpa is 3.1 and I am planning ot take the dat soon (and score high I hope!)

I wanted to apply to Howard to ensure that I at least get in somewehre..Where else should I look into applying with such a low gpa?

Also: If I got a C+ in ochem and my prof offers to write me a letter of rec, is that bad? She said she would talk about despite me not making a high grade, I am a good student blah blah. But I dunno, doesnt it look good that I got a C+ and my teacher is wanting to writ eme a letter?

One more question! If my profs have already turned in sealed, signed letters to our advising office, becuase they send all the letters out for me. How do I manage to get them to sign the lor form from aadsas, if they are not avaliable, retired professors etc.?

STRESSED OUT!!
Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

1905 said:
Can I apply to Howard if I am not African American? I have heard not to,

My gpa is 3.1 and I am planning ot take the dat soon (and score high I hope!)

I wanted to apply to Howard to ensure that I at least get in somewehre..Where else should I look into applying with such a low gpa?

Also: If I got a C+ in ochem and my prof offers to write me a letter of rec, is that bad? She said she would talk about despite me not making a high grade, I am a good student blah blah. But I dunno, doesnt it look good that I got a C+ and my teacher is wanting to writ eme a letter?

One more question! If my profs have already turned in sealed, signed letters to our advising office, becuase they send all the letters out for me. How do I manage to get them to sign the lor form from aadsas, if they are not avaliable, retired professors etc.?

STRESSED OUT!!
Please help!

1) You can apply to Howard if you're not African American. http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm has matriculating stats for students at each dental school.

2) You need to break your GPA down to overall, science and BCP as different schools use different ones for their admissions process. Check out a post I made earlier that addresses GPAs and admittance criteria. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=195921

3) re: your C+ class letter. Not necessarily. The letter is going to be more about what your grade was right? So it can be excellent. Don't worry about it if the professor knows you pretty well and is willing to help.

4) Bring LOR to your advsor's office.

5) Go take a shot or smoke a bowl but calm down. Applications is not a complicated process.

thank you for your help!!

i'll look into taking a shot, i think it may help :oops:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even sending my LORs to AADSAS. I'm having my preprofessional office send them to each of the schools I am applying too. My school has our own LOR service so I'm going to take advantage of it. I've heard horror stories of AADSAS sending out the app but not all of the LOR so the schools don't process the application. I'm not taking any risks.

I think you're probably wasting your money applying to Howard, but whatever floats your boat. If you really want to know, ask the school.

I think the C+ letter is a good idea. It shows that you're not just some brown noser who is just getting letters from the profs that you got an A from. Instead you're getting a letter from a prof who really knows you and what you're capable of.

Utes said:
I'm not even sending my LORs to AADSAS. I'm having my preprofessional office send them to each of the schools I am applying too. My school has our own LOR service so I'm going to take advantage of it. I've heard horror stories of AADSAS sending out the app but not all of the LOR so the schools don't process the application. I'm not taking any risks.

Yup that happened to me! I had to bring a letter that fell through the cracks with me to my interviews! And at some schools that required 3.. well my app just never got completed... what a shaft, oh well. Anyways, dont' be scared to use the AADSAS letter service.. just make sure to call and follow up with the schools to see that the letters did indeed arrive.

1905, whats your ethnic background? You dont have to be African-American, but you probably need to be something of flava :D