Application blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffeinated

Army Strong
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bummed right now...OSU has put me in the non-resident category for tuition purposes. So now I have another task in proving to them that I am a resident. I was born there, I lived there for 27 years, and I only left when I went on active duty in the Army (still on active duty). But now I have to submit my pay stubs for the last 12 months and dig up some obscure personnel records to prove that I have Ohio listed as my home of record and that I am paying taxes in Ohio.

No interviews yet; 2 of my recommenders are going slow. Does the work ever end?

Furthermore, I can't seem to locate a typewriter anywhere so that I can do my paper Case application. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....:( :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like med school is going to be the easy part once I get through all of this. It's funny, when I was applying to optometry school 4 years ago, I don't remember being this worried. Maybe I blocked out that memory. But then again, I had one committee letter back then, and I didn't have a full time job where I spent 11 hours each day plus 2 hours in travel to and from work.

Ok, it's all out, and I feel better. Thanks.

Hang in there. This too shall pass!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
aawww,
trust me, it gets to all of us. It took me over a month to finish the Loyola secondary. I really think I was going through some major depression or somethign during that time because all I did was lie in bed and not get any work done for almost a week.

I think that more than the work, it's the emotional stress that gets to all of us. Try to stay positive, I know it's hard. I am in your shoes too. I have plenty of fun with my fiance after a day of work so I don't feel bogged down by details of this whole process. And you think your LORs are slow? Mine has taken almost 4 months now. And to top that, he tells me in the end he LOST IT!! So now I am having to write the entire thing, and wait even longer so he can come back from his vacation to sign the damn thing. :( I am making myself feel depressed....sigh...oh well..happy thoughts..happy thoughts....

SMW and Tweet,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am sure you can sympathize with my frustration: I want this so bad and I want it to happen RIGHT NOW! It was such a hard decision to actually admit to myself that this is what I want to do, now that I am over that hump I want it to fall into place. It all went so smooth up until now. I guess it was bound to happen. A good night's sleep and a weekend off is what I need!

Originally posted by Caffeinated
I'm a little bummed right now...OSU has put me in the non-resident category for tuition purposes. So now I have another task in proving to them that I am a resident. I was born there, I lived there for 27 years, and I only left when I went on active duty in the Army (still on active duty). But now I have to submit my pay stubs for the last 12 months and dig up some obscure personnel records to prove that I have Ohio listed as my home of record and that I am paying taxes in Ohio.

Sorry to hear it Caffeinated. I had a similar problem when I was applying to my state school for undergrad, although the solution wasn't quite as hardcore as what they're making you do.

My state school on the residency form asked for current address, address in the last 5 years if it had changed, and last address I had outside of my state.

My parents couldn't even remember the last address outside of the state since it had been around 15 years, so my dad had to find some 1980 tax form or something.

Then, they also wanted where my parents work and their work address. Well my dad's official official work address was in another state, so I put that as his work address. They sent me the form back asking if my dad worked in that other state, and I said, no, you asked me for the official work address of his main office. Grrr...

Anyway, I sent it back to them with the address of my house since my dad basically worked out of our house at the time, because he had actually been to the office (4 hours away, mind you) once ever and told them that the previous office was just a headquarters for his company because that's what they asked for!

So they normally send admissions letters (non-rolling) for regular decision candidates in late March. Because of this, I received the letter on April 23rd! 8 days before the May 1 deadline to decide on schools. Granted I didn't plan to go there and I knew I'd get in, it would have been nice to know I had the option in case there was a money issue.

Of course, this is the same application that I spent 10 minutes hand writing. :)

-RA

i hear you...im getting really stressed out about this whole application process. the worst part is getting a rejection letter in the morning and try to work on the secondaries the rest of the day.

and plus...man...those rejection letters are expensive. $75-$100 for a piece of paper saying im not good enough for them.... heck.....i'd rather throw the money at a strip club :mad:

Ok, I'm still a non-resident at Ohio State; I haven't fixed that yet. But I got an interview! It's my first one!

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Where to?

UCLA Paratrooper

heck.....i'd rather throw the money at a strip club :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

True dat

UCLA,

I got an interview at Ohio State. I can't believe I'm interviewing this early. I only had 2 LORs turned in (which is all you need for OSU, but I was planning to send 4 to all the schools).

The bureaucracy can be frustrating, but keep persisting with the in-state tuition. I would use the emotion card, if I were you. "I temporarily left the state to serve my country in a time of war."

I talked to someone in the registrar's office a few days ago. It sounds like I don't need 12 mos paystubs, just one + a form from my personnel file. They also said that I am pretty early in the process and that I had plenty of time to change the status. As for the adcom, they said I should notify the SOM about my intent to change my residency status. At first I was afraid it might impact my application, but I am interviewing next week so that is a good sign. I will casually mention it to them at that time.

I just broke down and cried last week. :( For me, it was therapeutic and one of the few ways I can let out all my anxieties.