Application coach- yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaxMD2be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am getting my ducks in a row to apply this cycle and I keep hearing that a coach for my personal statement is a must. I also am getting advice that having a coach for the application process is also critical. The prices are steep ($4-7k). Does anyone have an alternative opinion or advice to share?

Members don't see this ad.

All you need is here for free. Don't blow thousands of dollars when you're about to be in a ton of debt.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks for the reply. How did you know your personal statement was good enough? My premed advisor is great, but not enough students are accepted from the University that he has my complete confidence. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I am getting my ducks in a row to apply this cycle and I keep hearing that a coach for my personal statement is a must. I also am getting advice that having a coach for the application process is also critical. The prices are steep ($4-7k). Does anyone have an alternative opinion or advice to share?

Not worth it. I can see why super wealthy parents hire coaches for their kids but ultimately it is not something anyone would need if you know where to look for the resources. (hint: ALL the resources you could need are on this site or are guidelines that come directly from AAMC)

There is no way for you to be an objective judge of your own personal statement, so find people and mentors that you trust to look over it and offer suggestions. Take those suggestions with a grain of salt (esp if you get conflicting advice from different readers) but realize that it is basically necessary to have other people read your PS to get outside opinions. I was able to get really great advice from a research grad student mentor who was working on finishing her thesis, and thus had a lot of experience improving flow and structuring content appropriately.

Look up above. 2016-2017 Med School Applicant Sticky. It will give you all the info you need.

Reactions: 1 user
Well...I'll be your application coach for ONLY 1/10th of that cost xD.

Okay in all seriousness those things are useless. Everything you need you can find in the SDN community. As for as the PS goes, long as it's not bad, its good. Something like 97.9% of PS's won't make a difference and you probably won't be the .1% whose PS helps the app (2% being terrible and hurting your PS).

Reactions: 1 user
There are excellent people here who provide that service for free. Check out the medical school applicant sticky in my signature and then click on the personal statement reader thread.

Reactions: 3 users
There are excellent people here who provide that service for free. Check out the medical school applicant sticky in my signature and then click on the personal statement reader thread.
Thank you!! I'm super impressed by the support you all have given so quickly. Maybe I'm not alone in a row boat after all. {{ happy dance }}

Last edited: