Application Confusion plz help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cells4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to apply to medical school this year and want to get in all my transcripts, LORs in early. However, I'm a little confused as to how and when to send transcripts work. I went on the search forum but everyone seems to be saying different things. In addition, I also wanted to know if I can submit to AMCAS without my LOR ( in case I don;t have them complete by then) and if that would affect the processing of my application in anyway. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you need to have your UG mail your official transcript to AMCAS. you can also submit your AMCAS without LOR and it will not affect verification. However, without LOR you won't be complete at schools until those come in.

thanks..does that mean that I can submit my transcripts right now prior to starting my application or should I wait until May when the application opens up? In addition, is a transcript request form required since there some people say its necessary and others don't?..thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
you need to have your UG mail your official transcript to AMCAS. you can also submit your AMCAS without LOR and it will not affect verification. However, without LOR you won't be complete at schools until those come in.

Exactly. Also, when you start your AMCAS application and enter the name of your school(s), AMCAS generates a transcript request cover letter that you give to your school, and which your school is supposed to include with the transcript to make sure AMCAS processes it correctly. Don't worry about the transcripts yet- I'd say wait until the application opens in May so you can print the proper forms and include your spring grades.

Edit-- not sure if the transcript request form from amcas is REQUIRED, but they give it to you so that your transcript gets processed correctly on their end. (ie, it includes your aamc ID# and signature)

thanks..does that mean that I can submit my transcripts right now prior to starting my application or should I wait until May when the application opens up? In addition, is a transcript request form required since there some people say its necessary and others don't?..thanks again

Wait until May.

When you open your AMCAS in May, you enter all the schools you attended. Then you can print out a transcript request form. It has a bar code on it that is associated to you file. It helps get your transcript into your file (and not another person's file). Give the request form to your registrar so they can send it in with your transcripts.

If you are still in school, you may want to wait until your spring grades are posted to send in transcripts. That may delay the process. One school did not get my spring grades posted until Mid June. If you don't have spring grades sent in, you will need to send transcripts to ALL schools you apply to when they are posted. This can get expensive!

dsoz

Exactly. Also, when you start your AMCAS application and enter the name of your school(s), AMCAS generates a transcript request cover letter that you give to your school, and which your school is supposed to include with the transcript to make sure AMCAS processes it correctly. Don't worry about the transcripts yet- I'd say wait until the application opens in May so you can print the proper forms and include your spring grades.

Edit-- not sure if the transcript request form from amcas is REQUIRED, but they give it to you so that your transcript gets processed correctly on their end. (ie, it includes your aamc ID# and signature)

It is not REQUIRED, but it helps to not loose your papers. I had one school that I could not get them the form, and it found its way into my file just fine.

dsoz