Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I haven't posted here in a while, but for those of you who may remember me I am the ex-professional baseball player who left to pursue a career in medicine. Since leaving in June I have been able to complete 8 credits this past summer semester including Organic II where I was able to score a 3.5, which I am fairly proud of seeing that it was my first semester back in school in almost 5 years. Which brings me to my question, I am currently enrolled in the fall semester and doing well in biochem lecture/lab, neurobiology and mind-body medicine, I feel these courses are essential for building on my low GPA(3.17) but if I am not mistaken if I want any chance of getting into med school in 2007 I should have already or at the least should be at this very moment submitting my Primary application through AMCAS. I have not taken the MCAT(I plan to take it after the new year) and I realize that with my GPA it's is essential I score very well but what I really want to know is: Have I missed the boat on 2007? Please excuse my ignorance I just got my copy of the MSAR in the mail and maybe I'm just in denial about what I'm reading but I really can't tell from what I have read. My thing is this, while I realize I shouldn't rush things I really dont' want to wait another year to apply to medschool, I am graduating in the spring and would like to be able to transition into medschool immediately if I am accepted. Anyways if someone could give me a realistic timeline of events for applying I would be forever greatful, thanks in advance to all those that respond.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think any allopathic schools will take january scores. i know of someone submitting updated MCAT scores for Jan to DO schools, but that's a re-take. Applying late is such a disadvantage, I would wait and apply next year.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something, but if it's now nearly October and you haven't taken the MCAT, then you absolutely cannot be considered for a 2007 matriculation because you've missed the two test dates for this year. You'll need to take either the April or August 2007 MCAT for a fall 2008 matriculation.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something, but if it's now nearly October and you haven't taken the MCAT, then you absolutely cannot be considered for a 2007 matriculation because you've missed the two test dates for this year. You'll need to take either the April or August 2007 MCAT for a fall 2008 matriculation.

Good luck!

first MCAT date coming up is January now that it's CBT. but schools don't seem to be accepting it. the scores would take 6 weeks, so they wouldnt be out until mid-Feb.

OP will need to wait til next cycle and take advantage of the applying early bit.

Thanks for the clarification, I must admit that I have been so focused on restructuring my life, between moving back to my home state and reacclimating to school I didn't even think an awful lot about the actual process of applying, while it's a little disappointing the ultimate goal is no different. So since 2008 it is, what do you think I would be best served doing for time leading up to the next app cycle? Should I take more classes or focus on the MCAT and volunteering, shadowing, etc.? Just looking for a little input, thanks again all!

Volunteer, shadow and start studying for the MCAT and I'd say plan on taking it this spring so you'll be able to complete everything in time to apply early decision if you do well, or so you'll have time to really focus on the MCAT over the summer and take it again in time to apply during the regular time frame.