???? Application/DAT ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robert landon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to have your DAT score in at the same time as your application? I want to apply to my dental schools early summer, study all summer for the DAT and then take the DAT in September. Will this hurt my chances? How common is this? Is this that important? I would really appreciate some knowledgeable advice on this topic. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Send in your application as soon as possible. Do not wait until you have taken the DAT. Submit your app in May if possible. Take the DAT as soon as you can after that because schools will not consider your app complete until you do.

How important is it to have your DAT score in at the same time as your application? I want to apply to my dental schools early summer, study all summer for the DAT and then take the DAT in September. Will this hurt my chances? How common is this? Is this that important? I would really appreciate some knowledgeable advice on this topic. Thank you! :)

i think taking the test in august/september is too late.

i say submit your AADSAS in may and take DAT early july.

edit: grammar error

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
In theory, if you submit AADSAS in May, say a few days after it opens, When is the latest you can take your DAT and still have your school receive your DAT scores by the time they receive (or realistically will look at) your AADSAS?

i think each school looks at applications at a different times. i think the earliest schools look at applications is july. so i would say take DAT around july.

the LATEST would be school deadlines. i think each school has a different deadline. they are around december? if you are going to submit around the deadline might as well not apply in my opinion.

Really??? Oh crap! I really need the summer to study for the DAT! I have no time to study now because of classes and I can't study May or June because that's when I'll be shadowing and working full time! Yikes...I need to work this out! Thanks for the advice every one.:eek:

I submitted my app in may, but didn't take my DATs until August. The problem with that is that the schools put your app on hold until they receive your DAT scores. So I'd try to send it in ASAP. But don't take the DATs if you are unprepared. It's still better to submit in August with a solid score than submit in May with a crappy one.

Try applying to a lot of schools, like 15, just to increase your chances of getting in if you're worried your scores will come it too late.

Good luck!