Application deferred/on hold pre interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullyafutureDOstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what it really means when schools email you post-secondary/pre-interview saying they put your app on hold/"decision deferred" after preliminary review?

I know that a lot of people end up applying later and they're going to take those apps, so does that basically mean rejection for us realistically?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering what it really means when schools email you post-secondary/pre-interview saying they put your app on hold/"decision deferred" after preliminary review?

I know that a lot of people end up applying later and they're going to take those apps, so does that basically mean rejection for us realistically?

Have you asked the school(s) that sent you this email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What wxman393 said. Depends on what the school means by it
KYC told me that it meant I am still in the stack but I am continually being compared to incoming candidates to see if I should get an interview
MUCOM told me that they want to interview me but put me on holding waiting for the most recent grades(so it's deferred at the moment until they review my newest quarter).

So it really depends on what the school means which could vary.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably not good news. I applied last cycle and was put on hold pre-interview at a couple of places which all ended up becoming silent or curt rejections by the end. This was despite sending updates like DO letters, etc. to those schools. Keep your chin up though, it doesn't mean you won't get an interview (and acceptance) somewhere else! You've really got to develop some thick skin if you want to remain sane throughout the application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I was put on a pre-interview hold and got an II 1 month later. It does not always mean a rejection but certainly could be

This cycle I was put on hold/waitlist pre-interview on August 19th. Got an II on September 29th. Is it good? No, but it definitely does not mean rejection. If they were sure they wanted to reject you, they would reject you. They're just looking at the applicant pool to see what their options are for the cycle. They will revisit your application later in the cycle. Hang in there!

This cycle I was put on hold/waitlist pre-interview on August 19th. Got an II on September 29th. Is it good? No, but it definitely does not mean rejection. If they were sure they wanted to reject you, they would reject you. They're just looking at the applicant pool to see what their options are for the cycle. They will revisit your application later in the cycle. Hang in there!
Does later in the cycle mean before the new year or after? I feel like schools almost have a full class right before the new year

Does later in the cycle mean before the new year or after? I feel like schools almost have a full class right before the new year
Depends on the school. Some continuously review the hold list and some wait until after the New year.

Reactions: 1 users