Application Dilemma Please Advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingy95

BINGSM1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So My younger sister took the MCAT when she should have waited. She got a 500 and She cannot retake until September 2020. She has a 3.8 cumulative and 3.85 science gpa from an elite liberal arts college with a double major in religion and biology. She has hundreds of hours as an EMT working in an emergency room and pretty decent extracurriculars. Her school submits a committee letter and everything else in the application is pretty solid. She is currently enrolled in a 16 week MCAT prep and tutoring class which should help her get a decent score but does that mean She must wait until the October Score release to submit her AMCAS application? If she submits before the new score comes out She will get weeded out by most Allo schools. Anyone out there have any solid advice? Or is She just screwed for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
She does not need to apply this cycle. If she wants to apply only to DO schools she could apply this month to certain DO schools. Where is her state of residence ?

Reactions: 2 users
Some schools will hold the application and not make a decision until the new scores come out if you click the box indicating that you'll be retaking the MCAT. However, having an application that is not complete until October and with an average of two MCATS that won't be >512 will put her at a disadvantage at some schools. If I were the magic 8 ball, I'd say "Wait for the next cycle". Also, tell her to make her own account.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not what she wanted to hear but it is the right approach. Mainly it is an ego thing since all her friends from college and high school applying this cycle and she has to take another gap year.

Appreciate the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools will hold the application and not make a decision until the new scores come out if you click the box indicating that you'll be retaking the MCAT. However, having an application that is not complete until October and with an average of two MCATS that won't be >512 will put her at a disadvantage at some schools. If I were the magic 8 ball, I'd say "Wait for the next cycle". Also, tell her to make her own account.
What do you mean by average of two MCATS? If you taken the MCAT within 2020 the schools will adverage the two scores?

What do you mean by average of two MCATS? If you taken the MCAT within 2020 the schools will adverage the two scores?
If you take the MCAT more than once, some schools will average the two scores. e.g. say you get a 500, retake and get a 520. The average is going to be a 510. Some schools will use this average - other schools will take the highest attempt. Most schools’ MCAT policies are clear on their website.

Reactions: 1 user