Application: Fall 2012 + Choice of Schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abi123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I did post a thread here last year (so some of the information may look familiar) and received some good feedback. I have changed/added several activities and my general application has been changed. So, I thought it would be best to start a new thread rather than resurrecting a thread from the great beyond. I sincerely hope some of can provide me with your input in regard to what is discussed here.

My stats are as following:
Major: BS in Biomedical Sciences, BS in Business Administration

cGPA: 3.831
sGPA: 3.803
MCAT: 13/9N/10 (32N) - Took the 09/01/2011 exam

My extracurricular activities are as following:

Volunteer @ Hospital: 1 years - Total ~ 120 hrs
Volunteer EMT (since August 2011)
Shadowing: 100 hrs + (several specialties, but mostly EM)
Clinical Data Collector (since August 2011): A paid position where I work at a local ED collecting data for the clinical research studies in progress, screen women for domestic violence, assist staff with random small stuff (running labs, etc), data entry, and talk to patients about healthcare options within their community (for the uninsured and asthmatics). The majority of this job has to do with clinical interaction with patients as I talk to them about these studies, enroll them (getting consents, etc.), and find more information about them. I wish I had known about this earlier, it is an amazing opportunity.
Cell Biology Undergraduate Teaching Assistant: Spring 2011
Anatomy Undergraduate Teaching Assistant: Fall 2011, Spring 2012, and continued involvement in the coming semesters as a volunteer teaching assistant (since I have already graduated)
Human Physiology Undergraduate Teaching Assistant: Fall 2011
Club Treasurer (Fall 2011 - Spring 2012): Treasurer for the largest Pre-health club on campus.
Medical Assistant (since February 2012): Working here full-time atm.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): I fill out taxes for those who qualify (elderly and individuals with low/med income levels). Only takes place two months in a year. Having some trouble filling this out on AMCAS b/c this was done by a student organization that I am no longer in contact with. Plus, the club leaders are changing every year.

So, that is me in a nutshell. Here are the questions I have for you.

I am currently in my year off between graduating and enrolling in medical school. Anyone have any suggestions to further bolster my application?

Also, I began choosing medical schools to apply (listed below). If there are any schools I missed or any schools where I would not be a good candidate for, please let me know. I am a resident of New York.

MD schools:
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Chicago Medical School
Tulane University
Boston University
Tufts University
Saint Louis University
Creighton University
Brown University
Temple University
Thomas Jefferson University
Drexel University
Ohio State University
University of Vermont
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Washington
Albert Einstein College
Stony Brook University
University of Rochester
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
New York Medical College

DO schools (having a lot of trouble picking these schools, so only have two so far):
PCOM
NYCOM

Any and all suggestions for more medical schools to apply to are welcome. My dad is pushing me to apply to 40 schools… I don’t know if I would want to go that far, but I am open to adding a few more.

Thank you. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read this thread and provide your input.

Sincerely,
Abi
UWashington is not OOS friendly unless you're from a WWAMI state or applying MD/PhD, which you are not. I'd remove it. Georgetown and Crieghton would probably want to see more nonmedical community service to the poor than you have, considering their humanistic emphasis. Maybe add Rush instead. You could consider the 3 NJ schools. UMaryland and UConn are other possibilities.