application feedback and advice

Started by moa92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moa92

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there. I am reapplying to dental school for the second time this upcoming cycle. I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think my chances are for this cycle.

I had a 3.25 oGPA and 3.1 sGPA in undergrad. 19AA, 19TS, 21 PAT on my DAT. I have been told by a few people on SDN that my DAT may not be competitive enough and that I may have to retake it again, although the dean for my masters program and the prehealth advisor from my undergrad have told me that I do not need to retake it.
Since the last application cycle, I have worked as a dental assistant for 6 months before starting my masters. Im now currently one semester in to my masters in Biological Sciences and will be applying to this upcoming cycle with 9 hrs done and a 3.8 GPA, with 10 more hours that will be completed by early August. I have also continued volunteering with a mobile dental clinic.

I also have a good amount of volunteering/shadowing under my belt as well as a lot of leadership positions held in various organizations during college. I also played intercollegiate sport through college.(not sure if this is important or relevant for you guys to know)

I applied to dental school a bit late this past cycle(August 20th to be exact) and only got one interview. If you could please point me to the right direction as to where I need to improve on, whether I need to retake the DAT now that Im doing well in my masters, and if theres anything else I should do, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,
Hopeful future dentist