Application Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patsnation1000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since schools are accepting applications without an initial MCAT score due to cancellations, are MCAT retakers at a disadvantage this cycle? Specifically, my mcat date is July 23rd and I get my score back August 6. I don’t want to apply with my first score since it was weak, but I have also been super anxious that I am too late in the cycle. If I were to submit early (and not wait until my retake is scored) — Will schools not give secondaries out to me based on my old score, even if I have indicated that I am retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools aren’t required to wait for your second score for their pre-screening. A lot of people have suggested submitting to one throwaway school to get your app verified, then submitting to the test when you get your score back.

Reactions: 1 users
Med schools aren’t required to wait for your second score for their pre-screening. A lot of people have suggested submitting to one throwaway school to get your app verified, then submitting to the test when you get your score back.

What OP said above is correct. Alternatively, you can also check on the schools' websites and see what they are saying about the need for a MCAT score to evaluate your app in terms of sending secondaries and inviting for interviews! Every school will have a different policy. So I suggest you focus on preparing for the MCAT now and leave the rest for your future self to face :) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, I have 3.98 gpa and 503 mcat and I am going to be retaking the mcat again. I was just worried that I would not receive secondaries because of my low initial mcat score.

If it helps, I have 3.98 gpa and 503 mcat and I am going to be retaking the mcat again. I was just worried that I would not receive secondaries because of my low initial mcat score.
That doesn’t change a thing. Reread @lumya ’s post. It’s correct and gives good advice. Good luck on your retake.

Reactions: 1 user
I think whether or not to submit would be based on your level of risk. Depending on what schools you’re applying you, a 503 may or may not be below the screening threshold. If I was in your shoes I might just get my app verified with a throwaway school and wait for my actual score. First week of August isn’t late, and I wouldn’t want to worry about turning around secondaries when I’m trying to study for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Since schools are accepting applications without an initial MCAT score due to cancellations, are MCAT retakers at a disadvantage this cycle? Specifically, my mcat date is July 23rd and I get my score back August 6. I don’t want to apply with my first score since it was weak, but I have also been super anxious that I am too late in the cycle. If I were to submit early (and not wait until my retake is scored) — Will schools not give secondaries out to me based on my old score, even if I have indicated that I am retaking?
The direct answer to your question is "yes," retakers are at a disadvantage this cycle. if you had no score at all, lots of schools would give you secondaries, and some have indicated they might even give IIs while the scores are pending. With a 503, you won't receive the same consideration, and there is no way for you to submit early and not show it, so , yes, you are at a disadvantage.

Everyone else has given you excellent advice about the throwaway, and it really is your only play in this situation. Good luck!!!