Application: MCAT intent question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ntran1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would know the answer to my dilemma. I Just took the MCAT and I don't feel confident that I did well. I don't get my score till the end of August, but I want to retake the MCAT in January. I figured even if this MCAT turns out to be alright, a higher score might mean more scholarship money.

So as I'm doing my application, I'm not sure if I should list two MCAT taken and planned. I don't know if having two planned test looks bad or not.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone would know the answer to my dilemma. I Just took the MCAT and I don't feel confident that I did well. I don't get my score till the end of August, but I want to retake the MCAT in January. I figured even if this MCAT turns out to be alright, a higher score might mean more scholarship money.

So as I'm doing my application, I'm not sure if I should list two MCAT taken and planned. I don't know if having two planned test looks bad or not.

Thanks

If I were you, I'd just wait a month for your scores before "planning" on taking another test - you might've done really well!

If I were you, I'd just wait a month for your scores before "planning" on taking another test - you might've done really well!

Thanks for responding! But if I do wait and the score isn't so hot, is there anyway to update the e-application to show I plan on re-taking it in January?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding! But if I do wait and the score isn't so hot, is there anyway to update the e-application to show I plan on re-taking it in January?

I agree with Maxillo. Wait until you get the scores back in Aug. Submitting then will still be considered early. If your score doesn't make "the cut" (aka scholarship) then schedule another exam. Even if your first score isn't as high as you desired it still may be good enough to get you accepted.

I agree with Maxillo. Wait until you get the scores back in Aug. Submitting then will still be considered early. If your score doesn't make "the cut" (aka scholarship) then schedule another exam. Even if your first score isn't as high as you desired it still may be good enough to get you accepted.

So everyone thinks I shouldn't submit without my MCAT score? I didn't know end of August is still considered early so waiting till then makes me anxious, but the last thing I want to do is something to hurt my chances. any other reassurance anybody might have would be much appreciated :love:

So everyone thinks I shouldn't submit without my MCAT score? I didn't know end of August is still considered early so waiting till then makes me anxious, but the last thing I want to do is something to hurt my chances. any other reassurance anybody might have would be much appreciated :love:

Some people don't apply until May and still get in - obviously this isn't a great idea, but it happens. To get scholarships, the earlier the better, but I'd still submit it early. As for changing the application, I don't know if that is possible. I'm sure that if you took the MCAT again and did significantly better and you've already been accepted you could call the school and tell them what happened and see if they will offer you more $$

One thing to consider is your undergrad GPA. Most schools don't reward you for a high MCAT without the excellent GPA to go with. Of course there are moderate scholarships where a 3.5 gpa and solid MCAT 24-26 will benefit you (4-6k first year) but don't go aiming for a 30MCAT and full/half ride scholarship if your gpa is less then a 3.8.

Once you are accepted they should still reward you the scholarship if before matriculating you meet the requirements. Always apply early!

One thing to consider is your undergrad GPA. Most schools don't reward you for a high MCAT without the excellent GPA to go with. Of course there are moderate scholarships where a 3.5 gpa and solid MCAT 24-26 will benefit you (4-6k first year) but don't go aiming for a 30MCAT and full/half ride scholarship if your gpa is less then a 3.8.

Once you are accepted they should still reward you the scholarship if before matriculating you meet the requirements. Always apply early!

Hey superbill2,
If my gpa isn't that strong, should I apply without an MCAT score for the sake of being early? I will get my MCAT score on the 29th of August. I'm still waiting for my transcripts to get processed, but once they go through, should I submit the application without the score?

Hey superbill2,
If my gpa isn't that strong, should I apply without an MCAT score for the sake of being early? I will get my MCAT score on the 29th of August. I'm still waiting for my transcripts to get processed, but once they go through, should I submit the application without the score?

No!! What?! Wait for your MCATs in like two weeks to come through, then submit. If you get all your materials in before October, you'll still be in the first batch of applicants for sure.

Hey superbill2,

Ideally I would apply by first of November so you can hit the pre Christmas interview list. My apps took 6 weeks to process before schools received my stuff but some I heard took 5 days, so take that with a grain of salt. Everyone works on their apps over break so getting the jump on everyone will still give you priority over most others.