1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Application now; DAT in August????

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Mamona, May 14, 2008.

1. Mamona

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am trying to send my application no later than this weekend, but I am planning on taking the DAT mid July or first week of August..... I am wonder if it would be better to send my application in mid June and that way my whole application (with DAT) would be ready at the same time..... What do you think I should do?????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hybridtavo

Hybridtavo Dr Ortegon
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Im doing the same thing u r, well at least Im filling and sending my application first, then when I take the DAT in Aug. I will send those scores.
    By the way sos Colombiana???? I ask because of the timoteo y mamona as a nick jajajjaa

3. Mamona

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yes I am from Colombia!!! mamona long story...... pero realmente, realmente no soy mamona jajaja

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. samdds

samdds I have faith in myself
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    You should send your application in this week and just update the school when you get your DAT scores.

5. will9631

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    In my opinion, send in your aadsas app as soon as possible, and keep backups of everything you submit, because aadsas is a pain. It takes over a month to process your transcript, so even if you submit by late may it might not get mailed to schools untill the middle of July (its not usually quite that long, but if they screw something up it can be). Dat processing is comparably quick (because you send it straight to schools), so you can take it when you're ready and still not create a huge lag between schools receiving your main app and your scores. I wouldn't wait forever on the DAT, but don't rush it- the scores are too important. Go ahead and rush your aadsas app if you're happy with it on the other hand, or come august you'll be frantically calling aadsas asking why they haven't mailed out your app yet.

Thats my advice after two full cycles of dealing with this mess (not that I'm an expert, its just my view), and I wish you the best of luck

6. Hybridtavo

Hybridtavo Dr Ortegon
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    jajajaja q bien de donde sos, donde vivis y a donde vas a aplicar??? no conozco de muchos colombianos q apliquen a odontologia x estos lares.
    Ve primero me presento jajaja q pena. Me llamo Gustavo, de Florida, y la lista x ahi la tengo guardada ya pense q la aplicacion abria a media noche pero como q nada

7. d wannabe

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So is it okay to take DAT in Aug?

I already registered to take DAT on mid July to make sure I'm on the first cycle applicant. But if there is no difference in taking DAT in mid July or early Aug, I would rather choose early Aug.

Should I postpone to Aug?
    Help :confused:

8. Mamona

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Mi nombre es Janis tambien vivo en Florida en Orlando y la lista de colegios es larga como 17 por ahora. A que universidad vas y en que ciudad vives??

9. will9631

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    no reason to postpone now, they only need like 48 hours notice. I'd plan for july, then just push it back if you don't feel comfortable yet. Most schools won't send you the supplemental app until they receive your scores I believe, and you won't be considered for interview untill your application is complete, so earlier is better (as long as you feel prepared- if a few weeks means the difference between a 18 and a 20, then take the time to get it right)

10. d wannabe

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Thanks for the info
    I think I should better stick to July DAT since I need time to work on my supp application after DAT is done.
    Even though DAT processing time is fast, I assume that supp application processing time would be few weeks, rite?
    Am I correct?

11. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you submit your application now with transcripts and LORs AADSAS will probably take until next month to verify and mail to the designated schools.
    The DAT in July/Early August wouldn't hurt you too much. The schools will get the DAT in 2 or 3 weeks after that. The application will be complete by late August. They will review your application in September. An October interview isn't particularly late if you get one. Just send it and kick butt on the DAT. I took my DAT late August(very late august) last year. Still managed to land a couple of interviews by October. If you get an interview up to early November you will be set to get a decision by December 1st.

12. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The schools will definitely get the scores in August. The earlier the better without sacrificing good scores in the DAT. The supp application is handled directly by the schools. It is unique to the school so it will have to be mailed to the school that sent you the application. No processing time is required. They will probably just add to your application (barring errors in filling in out by you and non payment of additional application fee to the school)and mark it as complete, to be reviewed on the next admission committed meeting.

13. mikexima

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    how long does it usually take between the time you take the DAT and the time the schools receive it ?

14. Kane

Kane The hard way is the right way
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's my plan. So you think that's okay? (I'm working on the AADSAS now.)

TIA

15. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It gets sent as soon as you have taken it. I would allow 2 to 3 weeks, but it could be sooner than that.

16. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It works. You won't be in the earliest pile of completed application but it is still early enough. It landed me 2 pre dec1st interviews. I got the interview invites in middle of september but I scheduled them in October.

17. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took my DAT in August and submitted AADSAS some time in July. Worked for me.

18. Kane

Kane The hard way is the right way
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nice, Mr. Stony Brook.

#18 Kane, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  19. STACM

7+ Year Member

Is it ok to hold off on designating any schools until you finish your DAT?

20. hl11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Hi, I am taking my DAT in mid-july. i'm just wondering how many schools you applied and how many interviews you got since you took your DAT a bit late? thanks.