Application Process...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbergermRDH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently studying to take my DAT, I am utilizing several recommended sources including DAT bootcamp because I really liked their 10 week study layout. I have been studying for some time, but now its getting close to the 2017 applications to open in June and my testing date, April 8.

My main question is, If I take my DAT in April and wind up with average scores, fill out my application in June to send off to schools, is there enough time for me to retake my DAT say in September after the 90 days and resubmit scores to be competitive? My gut instinct is telling me thats cutting it tight. With this in mind I am considering pushing my test date back a few weeks to late April to allow a full ten weeks of hard studying and recapping everything.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Push it back to late april if you think that will make the difference between average scores and scores that are around the top of your capabilities.

What's the difference between you taking it in April vs. September? If it's more time to study, just take more time before your first take and do it in late April-make it May if it makes that much of a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was trying to allot extra time in case I felt the need to take it again for the 2017 application process. I know it seems silly, but although I've been studying - the thought of this test gives me anxiety. In a perfect world there would be no hesitation or worries about having to retake it, but I wouldn't want to wait too long for the second set of scores to be useless this application period.

You should definitely push it back if you don't feel prepared. The best thing you can do is to do really well on your first try. I applied last summer and took the DATs the end of June 2016.

Push it back and study hard. This isn't something you're going to want to redo both mentally and physically. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
You realize it costs like 600 dollars to take the DAT right?

Take it first week of june: this way you will have more time to study and you'll be able to apply early if u like your score

Last edited:
I am currently studying to take my DAT, I am utilizing several recommended sources including DAT bootcamp because I really liked their 10 week study layout. I have been studying for some time, but now its getting close to the 2017 applications to open in June and my testing date, April 8.

My main question is, If I take my DAT in April and wind up with average scores, fill out my application in June to send off to schools, is there enough time for me to retake my DAT say in September after the 90 days and resubmit scores to be competitive? My gut instinct is telling me thats cutting it tight. With this in mind I am considering pushing my test date back a few weeks to late April to allow a full ten weeks of hard studying and recapping everything.

TIA
Depends on the rest of your stats. If you already have GPA above 3.5 and at least 100 or more shadowing hours, similarly with volunteering, great personal essay, good letters of recommendation, etc., getting 18-19 on the DAT will not hurt you.
I would agree with pushing it to late April is the latest. If you take/retake the DAT too late (September or after), it will greatly reduce your chance versus applying with a 19 (I promise it's not extremely difficult to get an 18-19 ish).

Members don't see this ad :)
Like most of the replies already, I would just take it the first time whenever you feel ready even if it's a little later.

I took my first DAT in August of the current cycle I was applying for (sort of late, yes I know) but knowing that I couldn't retake it made the exam that much more real for me, if that makes sense. Like you I originally planned on taking it a little earlier to allow myself to still be on time if I needed to take it again 3 months later but I ended up postponing my exam 3 times, hence the August date.

Even though it wasn't my original intention, knowing I only had one shot made me try that much harder. I feel like if I took it too early, I would not have taken it as seriously because I would know I could just take another one (although expensive).

So yeah, take it whenever you're ready But don't take it past mid-late July

TIA

Your approach here seems a little discouraging. You still have plenty of time to study for the DAT and do well on it so I would not plan on taking the DAT twice that's just not a good idea. If you put in the effort now then you will do yourself a huge favor. If you go into the DAT thinking your gonna get average scores then you've already lost. If you are applying to dental school then you are more than smart enough to get good scores on the DAT it's just a matter of will and confidence so my advice is do well on your DAT in April and then focus on making sure the rest of your application is well rounded and complete.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I waited to create my list of schools until after I took the DAT. How else would you know whether you're actually qualified to apply to those schools?
This is true. I wouldn't apply without knowing my DAT score. Otherwise I would probably spend a ton of money applying to a wide range of schools not knowing what I was gonna get.

Take it one time and do well. Planning on retaking may put you into the mindset that it matters less if you do well the first time. The test is difficult, but not so difficult that you should feel it necessary to take it more than one time.

This is true. I wouldn't apply without knowing my DAT score. Otherwise I would probably spend a ton of money applying to a wide range of schools not knowing what I was gonna get.
That's why I tell people to apply with one school on their list early so you can get your transcripts and LOR verified ASAP and once you get your scores, you can just simply add more to your list.

Depends on the rest of your stats. If you already have GPA above 3.5 and at least 100 or more shadowing hours, similarly with volunteering, great personal essay, good letters of recommendation, etc., getting 18-19 on the DAT will not hurt you.
I would agree with pushing it to late April is the latest. If you take/retake the DAT too late (September or after), it will greatly reduce your chance versus applying with a 19 (I promise it's not extremely difficult to get an 18-19 ish).

I've got a pretty sound GPA and I'm currently a registered dental hygienist with loads and loads of volunteer hours and dental field experience. I feel really confident with every part of my application, but the DAT as everyone has mentioned is so mentally and physically demanding its the one part of my application I tend to worry about, since it is currently an unknown factor.

Thanks so much for your input!

TIA
My two cents.....if you are planning on failure, you will fail. If you are planning on such an average DAT score that you already have a contingency plan on when/how to retake the DAT, you will certainly be rewarded with that opportunity. I completely agree to just push it back two months, take it early June, and you will still be 2nd batch. That's from personal experience. I took it very beginning of June and I was still 2nd batch, and as you know, you definitely want to be in the first few batches that get mailed.

Plan to do well! Don't plan for a decent performance with enough time for a retake.

Take it first week of june: this way you will have more time to study and you'll be able to apply early if u like your score
I second this. Taking the DAT in early June was the best thing I did.

I second this. Taking the DAT in early June was the best thing I did.

i third this. i was planning to take it late april, and i ended up pushing it back to early june because i knew i wasn't ready.
it gave me enough time to prepare for the knowledge material of the DAT, but also to deal with the mental stress associated with the DAT.

Push it back a couple of weeks if needed. Don't plan on retaking