Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subzero0174

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking the MCAT next April, 2006. I am now a junior, and will be a senior at that time. Does this mean that I should apply to schools in November or December of 2005? I know that all schools are different in there dates, but from what I can tell, most are around that time. In other words, can I apply 5 months before I even take my MCAT's? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

subzero0174 said:
I am planning on taking the MCAT next April, 2006. I am now a junior, and will be a senior at that time. Does this mean that I should apply to schools in November or December of 2005? I know that all schools are different in there dates, but from what I can tell, most are around that time. In other words, can I apply 5 months before I even take my MCAT's? Thanks

um no. You can't apply till June 2006.

First off, people usually submit their intial application between june and october (earlier is better). And then you fill out secondaries and stuff. In generally, people only apply with out mcat scores if they are taking the august mcat.

subzero0174 said:

The way it works is you take the MCAT and then apply to schools through AMCAS. You can start filling out AMCAS in May after your MCAT, but you won't be able to submit it until June, and this is still very early. Basically you apply to schools the summer after an April MCAT. Try going to the AAMC website and look at the application process. Taking the MCAT as a senior means you will have a year between college and med school, which is really common (actually any number of years between college and med school is fairly common!)

Members don't see this ad :)
You must have an MCAT score before the submission deadline for the AMCAS, which for most schools is like December.

In other words, the only way you can apply before you have an MCAT score is if you're taking it in August of that application cycle.

OK:
Applying for 2006 entering class (filling out AMCAS between June 2005 and December 2005) with an April 2005 or August 2005 MCAT score.

Not OK:
Applying for 2006 entering class (filling out AMCAS between June 2005 and December 2005) with an April 2006 or August 2006 MCAT score.

So you must take the MCAT either this April or in August to apply for the coming cycle.

I bet if you apply without an MCAT, they'll still take your money. :D

Well I forgot to mention that I was an engineering major for 3 semesters before switching to biology. This means that there is pretty much no chance that I will be graduating my "senior" year. I am going to need 5 years. Does this mean that I should definitely wait to take the April 06 MCAT since I will have to be here working on my bio degree anyways?

You should just take your MCATs whenever you have finished the coursework that is required and have adequately studied for the exam. If you want to apply in 2006, the best time to take the MCAT would be either August 2005 or April 2006.