Application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoogieGa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all so I know this a very open question and I feel as though I am very far behind. But I wanted to start my application but I dont even know where to begin. I dont know anything about the Personal statement or Explanation statement or where to being. I had written an email to previous DVM I have worked for and they are working on my LORs but other then that I feel as though I am walking into this completely blind. All of my school advisors haven't been able to help at all. If there is any advice for a noob like myself or some webpages that I should read. Please help me!!! I feel useless and can not afford to panic at this point since it is still early I just want to get the ball rolling. Thank you for all the help and good luck to others who are applying and congrats to those that have been excepted. I have been scanning all of the post and you guys are very helpful i'm so glad that I found this site. Thanks again for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but I really don't think you're going to be able to make it this cycle. What do you mean it is still early? Applications are due in a week. That means you're going to need three LOR's submitted by then, a personal statement written(which took me a huge amount of time, I started way back in June), and official transcripts postmarked by Oct 2nd. If you haven't even ordered transcripts from your school yet, it might already be too late, but it's still possible. Then there are the supplemental applications, the GRE, etc etc. There's just too much stuff to cram into one week and your application will look horrible if you do.

Where are you wanting to apply? Do you have all three LORs lined up? Do you even have them entered in VMCAS? Schools won't take paper letters, there's a format that needs to be followed and a set group of questions that they answer... I mean, I wrote my PS in a day last time, but I wasn't accepted (obviously). I mean, it might be possible to get things done in a week, but you would have to work on it nonstop for days, and even then it probably wouldn't be great...

Have you taken the GRE?

If you're applying to multiple schools, you definitely don't have time to do all of the supplemental applications...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone that it's probably too late for this cycle (I'm not sure what you meant when you said that you "feel far behind", but also "still early").

Assuming you meant for next cycle, which means you matriculate in 2011, I don't think you're behind at all! If you have 3 vet LORs already, you're way ahead of the game.

Not sure how helpful these will be since I don't know what your particular situation/stats are, but here are some suggestions on what you should do for the next cycle:

***Disclaimer: these are what you want to aim for. You DO NOT need ALL of these things to be considered for admission***

• Make a login for VMCAS and just see what the application will be like. If you're actually thinking about applying this cycle, maybe just start filling it out as best you can. Starting this year, you can save your VMCAS apps from this year for NEXT year!

• Take the GRE's. To have competitive scores, you'll want to have something above the 70th percentile. I believe for math that's above a 700, and for verbal it's somewhere between 500 - 550. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about the writing, but try to get above a 4.5

• Look up pre-reqs for schools that you are interested in and make sure you've got them covered. Take lots of upper level science courses beyond the required and rock them, especially if you don't have stellar grades for the required courses. If you had courses that you did poorly in, think about retaking them. Aim for a 3.5 GPA or above.

• Keep gaining meaningful and varied experiences. I remember someone here saying that some vet schools like to see 400 hrs each in 3 difference categories (SA, LA, equine, wildlife, exotic, research, food animal, etc...). Keep in mind that the average accepted student has combined animal and veterinary experience hours in the thousands.

• Make a spreadsheet of all of your experiences and meticulously record the # of hours you put into each experience, and maybe jot down a memorable story or two from each that you might like to use in your PS.

• It's never too early to work on your PS (though I'm the type of person who can't crank out a really heartfelt one until I'm actually well into the application process and it feels real). Look through other SDN threads about how to start. If you want to bounce ideas, just post them here and ask for feedback. Just be sure to specify the type of feedback you'd like. People here are very serious about helping, and will put a lot of thought into it, so if that's not the type of response you're looking for, be sure to say that beforehand. Don't post your entire PS on the forum though. Ask for people who might want to read it to send you a PM.

• Look at the LOR requirements for each of the schools you're interested in. Some want 2 vet eLORs, some will ONLY take 3, others like Cornell want one from EVERY animal/vet experience. Many want at least one or two academic eLORs. For the vets writing the letters for you now, have them hold onto them until VMCAS comes out again next June. Or, contact VMCAS and ask if it's okay for you to have them registered for this cycle, not actually go through with the process this cycle, and use it for next cycle.

• Start gathering information about all the honors, jobs, and other experiences you've had since HIGH SCHOOL!

• If there's a vet school near you, go for a tour. A lot of schools will actually allow you to have a sit down with an admissions councelor who will look over your stats and give you feedback. They'll also give you advice on how to really showcase everything into a nice competitve application. I did this with Tufts, and it was a really positive experience.

That's about all I can think of as of now. Please chime in if anyone can think of other things.

To the OP, if you are still thinking about applying this cycle. GOOD LUCK! I have everything done except for a couple of supplemental prompts (sigh... Ohio) and even then I'm freaking out that I'm behind. I tend to be a worry wart, but jeesh if I were in your position, I think I'd have a heart attack.

Not sure which cycle you were talking about, DoogieGa, but if you do mean to apply this year I say there is still hope. The application really didn't take me all that much time. Most of the information is simple stuff, like entering grades, contact info, etc, and I wrote my PS two days before the deadline (or was it one?) The biggest issue was coordinating LORs and transcripts. So if you've already got people working your LORs, I wouldn't count myself out. Yes, it will be an intense week, but it's totally doable. At least give the schools a chance to check you out - don't make their decision for them by not applying just because there's only one week left!

I guess I should have metioned Im not applying till the next cycle planning for fall 2011. Im just trying to get organized now and get it going and im just overwhelmed im a transfer student to this four year school and I'm trying to figure their crap out hopefully in enough time to enroll for fall 2011

I guess I should have metioned Im not applying till the next cycle planning for fall 2011. Im just trying to get organized now and get it going and im just overwhelmed im a transfer student to this four year school and I'm trying to figure their crap out hopefully in enough time to enroll for fall 2011

what a relief, you have plenty of time!! :) i would recommend visiting the AAVMC website and check out the requirements for each school. That might point you in the right direction as far as college-specific requirements. As far as the personal statement and explanation statement - don't even worry about that right now. When VMCAS opens next June for the Fall 2010 cycle, it will have a PS prompt and character limit. The same for the Explanation Statement - there are instructions throughout vmcas that explains what should go in different sections. The explanation statement has instructions for what should go in there (if it's even relevant for you). For me, I simply used the explanation statement to explain where all of my GPAs came from (i had 3 different GPAs from two different universities and grad school) but check out AAVMC and see where you can go from there. good luck!!

I'm curious, is the prompt for the personal statement about the same every year?

Yup. Not much to change about that.

"Discuss briefly the development of your interest in veterinary medicine. Discuss those activities and unique experiences that have contributed to your preparation for a professional program. Discuss your understanding of the veterinary medical profession, and discuss your career goals and objectives."
Sorry, I just happened to have it on hand. ;)