Application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacyMedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask here for some advice because I'm reading stuff thats contradicting what my premed advisor told me.

I plan to apply to medical school this summer, but I want to write my MCATs sometime in August, meaning my scores will be released in September. I read on here that applying early is the KEY to med-school applications in the states, but my Med-school advisor is telling me to apply this summer and not hold off my application for the summer after like I had originally planned. What do you guys recommend I do? Should I write it in August and wait till next summer to apply? Or should I just apply this summer?

Another question... How does the process actually unfold? Will med-schools accept my application without an MCAT score? Or offer an interview before getting one? Or will they not look at the application unless it is fully completed?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask here for some advice because I'm reading stuff thats contradicting what my premed advisor told me.

I plan to apply to medical school this summer, but I want to write my MCATs sometime in August, meaning my scores will be released in September. I read on here that applying early is the KEY to med-school applications in the states, but my Med-school advisor is telling me to apply this summer and not hold off my application for the summer after like I had originally planned. What do you guys recommend I do? Should I write it in August and wait till next summer to apply? Or should I just apply this summer?

Another question... How does the process actually unfold? Will med-schools accept my application without an MCAT score? Or offer an interview before getting one? Or will they not look at the application unless it is fully completed?

Thank you!

Your application will not see the light of day until it's complete. If you sit for the MCAT in August, you will not be complete until September. Do not take the test until you're ready, though.

I think you will be fine. You can actually submit your application ahead of time and make note that you are taking your mcats at time time in August. You are allowed to take the test until September for consideration for next year's class. I had a friend apply in November this past year and she got tons of interviews. If you do well on your mcats you'll be fine. Applying early is helpful, but won't make or break you! Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
submit your application right away, get everything complete except for your mcat score including recommendations. It takes some time to be verified by AMCAS. Early september is not optimal, but should be fine.

I think you will be fine. You can actually submit your application ahead of time and make note that you are taking your mcats at time time in August. You are allowed to take the test until September for consideration for next year's class. I had a friend apply in November this past year and she got tons of interviews. If you do well on your mcats you'll be fine. Applying early is helpful, but won't make or break you! Hope this helps!

I just cannot fathom on what you are basing this bad advice. Have you applied and been admitted, as a late applicant?

If not, spare the OP the ruminations off the top of your head.

As my own personal experience, and 9000 SDN threads, tell me:

Applying early and broadly are the two cardinal rules of the process that should be followed -- at all costs -- to maximize both your chances of admission, and your chances of admission to your favorite schools.

Yes September is late. Yes you should take your MCAT when you are ready and yes you should apply next summer.

Apply once and do it right.

Reapplying isn't fun--it's true. While there is the occasional applicant that applies late and gets a ton of interviews, that is the exception rather than the rule.

So, I should spare applying this summer and save it for the next? Because it's pretty much hopeless if I write the MCATs in August as a result of this huge disadvantage?

So, I should spare applying this summer and save it for the next? Because it's pretty much hopeless if I write the MCATs in August as a result of this huge disadvantage?

It's not hopeless, but you're certainly not doing yourself any favors--especially if things go badly and your score ends up being sub-30. Earlier is better to maximize opportunities. Don't take the MCAT until you're ready, though.

Definitely take the MCATs only when you're ready. August is a bit late, but you'd also be taking chances and playing with fire. You wouldn't know your score even when you start the applications, which can take a great deal of time. You'll have the regular AMCAS app, and then school-specific secondaries (which took me like 3 months to finish by October, when my AMCAS was sent in July and verified in August). So yes, if you'd be waiting for scores by Sept, it'd be late. It'll be safer to take the test, get back your score, and maybe apply next year. Take the lag year and do something medically-related and maybe just relax. More students now are taking year off before med school, after which, you'll have NO time off practically.

Hope this helps.

If you are unsure about the mcat score you will get and want to be sure it is good enough, just submit AMCAS with the minimum amount of schools (and state schools at that). You will only be set back a small amount of money, and you can always decide to hold off if you want to take the MCAT again. If you end up doing well, first week of september is not too late at all. Not optimal does not mean too late. Too late I would say is late september and into october.