Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbound13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have researched this topic and I know that there's probably some topics like mine but, I still am a little confused. So I know you meet with your premed advisor, apply early, etc. But, I want to know more specifics. So my questions are: 1) When you apply do you only include the GPA you have up to that point? For example if your year finishes after you apply that June, do you include that semester? 2) Is there a place on the application to include classes that you will take in the future? Not so much pre reqs but, future classes that could include research. And 3) After you submit your application for the following semester do you need to keep up your GPA? or is it like high school going into undergrad where you just need to maintain a certain average?

Members don't see this ad.

I have researched this topic and I know that there's probably some topics like mine but, I still am a little confused. So I know you meet with your premed advisor, apply early, etc. But, I want to know more specifics. So my questions are: 1) When you apply do you only include the GPA you have up to that point? For example if your year finishes after you apply that June, do you include that semester? 2) Is there a place on the application to include classes that you will take in the future? Not so much pre reqs but, future classes that could include research. And 3) After you submit your application for the following semester do you need to keep up your GPA? or is it like high school going into undergrad where you just need to maintain a certain average?

0) Start by reading the AMCAS instruction manual. The answers to your first two questions are there.

1) Technically, you don't include any GPA. Your GPA is calculated for you. You would include all college- and graduate-level courses completed as of the time you submit your application; any classes in progress would be marked as such but no grades would be recorded or reported.

2) Yes, there is a designation marked "current/future."

3) Once you submit, assuming you are offered an acceptance, the receiving school would expect you to maintain some level of academic performance. Those standards would be school-specific; other than "don't fail," there's little guidance to be provided here.

For any further questions, please consult the stickied thread at the top of the forum page and its linked thread topics and post your questions in the appropriate locations.