Application put on hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xxjbo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application today. I applied to MCO, Indiana, Salus, OSU, Midwestern-Illinois, and ICO and I have already received an email from OSU that my application was put on hold because it was not as competitive. Just curious if anyone else has had this happened and if they were actually accepted after? Kinda starting to freak out. I just retook my OAT and got a 300 AA / 270 TS I have a 3.3 GPA and two years experience working at LensCrafters as an apprentice optician all well as an optical technician in their optometrists office where I schedule appointments, pre-test patients, and perform many clinical tests such as retinal photographs etc. I have the experience and passion but I'm afraid my stats are too low?

Members don't see this ad.

Your OAT scores might be a little too low.. someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was told that most schools recommend having scores of at least 300 or above. It could also be that you're applying a little later in the cycle and most of the seats in the class might already be filled, making the applicant pool more competitive at the moment. The other schools have different applicant pools though so just because your app was put on hold for OSU doesn't mean that it'll be the same for the others. A friend of mine also had his application on hold last year for one school because his OAT scores were not that competitive so after retaking them and improving his scores, he was extended an interview from that school.

The 270 TS is going to hurt your chances. I had the same OAT scores and didn't get in anywhere last year. I studied hard and retook the OAT and raised my scores to 330AA and 320TS (which are still not the best) and I got into two schools this year. I would say study hard in the subjects that you didn't do well in and retake the OAT. Showing the admissions committee that you are willing to bring up those scores will be very helpful to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my application today. I applied to MCO, Indiana, Salus, OSU, Midwestern-Illinois, and ICO and I have already received an email from OSU that my application was put on hold because it was not as competitive. Just curious if anyone else has had this happened and if they were actually accepted after? Kinda starting to freak out. I just retook my OAT and got a 300 AA / 270 TS I have a 3.3 GPA and two years experience working at LensCrafters as an apprentice optician all well as an optical technician in their optometrists office where I schedule appointments, pre-test patients, and perform many clinical tests such as retinal photographs etc. I have the experience and passion but I'm afraid my stats are too low?

Have you heard anything from MWU- IL? Since they are a new school, it could play in your favor.

Have you heard anything from MWU- IL? Since they are a new school, it could play in your favor.

I have not heard from Midwestern yet but I have an interview scheduled with Salus early January. I'm still waiting on my professor to upload the last LOR which I know many schools have said they are waiting on to make a decision.

The 270 TS is going to hurt your chances. I had the same OAT scores and didn't get in anywhere last year. I studied hard and retook the OAT and raised my scores to 330AA and 320TS (which are still not the best) and I got into two schools this year. I would say study hard in the subjects that you didn't do well in and retake the OAT. Showing the admissions committee that you are willing to bring up those scores will be very helpful to you.

Were you offered any interviews last year?

Yea I was waitlisted at UIWRSO.

I am in the same boat as you are. I have similar OAT scores as you, but I am definetly retaking in April. I still haven't heard back from Salus yet. UIWRSO put my application on hold and I have an interview in MIDW-IL in February. Have you heard back from any schools yet?

I am in the same boat as you are. I have similar OAT scores as you, but I am definetly retaking in April. I still haven't heard back from Salus yet. UIWRSO put my application on hold and I have an interview in MIDW-IL in February. Have you heard back from any schools yet?

Yes, I was offered interviews at MCO, Salus, and MW-Il and got accepted at both Salus and midwestern. MCO put my app on hold to look at other candidates because they only have one seat remaining. So I decided to go ahead and send it my deposit to Salus and will be attending there next fall! Don't give up because when I posted this thread I was freaking out that I wouldn't get in this cycle and everything worked out. One thing that worked out in my favor was that I got an A in physics I and II when I took them so that helped offset my low physics section of the OAT. I got accepted without having to retake. I'm just worried that if you retake in April it might be too late for this cycle but you never know! Call the schools and ask them what they recommend to make your application more competitive.

Yes, I was offered interviews at MCO, Salus, and MW-Il and got accepted at both Salus and midwestern. MCO put my app on hold to look at other candidates because they only have one seat remaining. So I decided to go ahead and send it my deposit to Salus and will be attending there next fall! Don't give up because when I posted this thread I was freaking out that I wouldn't get in this cycle and everything worked out. One thing that worked out in my favor was that I got an A in physics I and II when I took them so that helped offset my low physics section of the OAT. I got accepted without having to retake. I'm just worried that if you retake in April it might be too late for this cycle but you never know! Call the schools and ask them what they recommend to make your application more competitive.

Thanks I will definitely give them a call. How long did it take Salus and Mid-IL to get back to you on your acceptances?

Hey, congrats on getting in at Salus! How was the interview at MW-Il for you?

When in February is your interview at MWU-Il?

Thanks I will definitely give them a call. How long did it take Salus and Mid-IL to get back to you on your acceptances?

I actually got my acceptance to both schools on the same day. Midwestern it was two days after my interview. At Salus it was a little over a week after the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, congrats on getting in at Salus! How was the interview at MW-Il for you?

Thanks!! Its not bad at all. Some of the questions were a little odd but you get two minutes to think about your answer so its not as bad.

I got a 270 on my OAT and i got an interview at midwestern. I have a 3.6 gpa and 3 years of optometry tech experience. I got waitlisted and I was recommended to retake to make my application stronger. My exam is in a month and I am freaking out. ICO gave me an extension to retake it due to my circumstances as well. Do you think i have a chnace even though i applied late I am freaking out. I have really bad test anxiety and this exam was the worst.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 270 on my OAT and i got an interview at midwestern. I have a 3.6 gpa and 3 years of optometry tech experience. I got waitlisted and I was recommended to retake to make my application stronger. My exam is in a month and I am freaking out. ICO gave me an extension to retake it due to my circumstances as well. Do you think i have a chnace even though i applied late I am freaking out. I have really bad test anxiety and this exam was the worst.

Just calm down and focus on your OAT. I took mine last summer and didn't really put as much effort towards studying then this fall I had to retake it to submit my application and I really studied hard on top of being a full time student in my senior year and I ended up bringing every section up. My TS went from 270 to 300. You defiantely can do it. I used Chads videos to study the second time and it helped my gen Chem and o Chem section improve immensely. (I'm sorry I don't remember my exact scores or I'd tell you). I think if schools are extending the date then you definately have a chance especially at Midwestern. They are a newer school and I know their requirements are a little lower than other schools. Practice taking full length exams that will help reduce anxiety when it comes to the actual day. I completely understand the test is miserable but you just have to get through it one more time. That's all I told myself. I also just kept thinking I don't want to get another low score and then have to retake for a third time and apply again so I really cracked down and focused! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help and motivation! I will keep you updated.

Wnat were your stats if you don't mind?