application q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mont627

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just need some quick application advice. I've been an avid piano player since a very young age, and while I stopped taking lessons after high school, I've still played about 10-15 hours/week since coming to college. Clearly its still been a huge part of my life and something I've invested deeply in - but also, because I haven't continued formally with piano, something that I've relinquished as "just for me" and not for a med school application! But then I saw the "artistic endeavors" option on the AAMC application, under work/extracurriculars/etc. Is this the kind of thing they're looking for? If so, how deep of an explanation do I write about it? They say we have 1325 characters to write and I could fill it up in a minute talking about my passion for the piano....but again, I've taken no classes, stopped teaching my students, and have played in no competitions in the past three years.

I know its a small point, but it is a big part of me. Any piece of advice - or scathing criticism - would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in almost the same boat - I took piano lessons from the time I was in 1st grade until 12th grade, but I've continued playing for myself and for other various community events, etc. I went ahead and listed it with my other performing activities under Artistic Endeavors. I briefly described my training and how much experience I had.

I saw the "artistic endeavors" option on the AAMC application, under work/extracurriculars/etc. Is this the kind of thing they're looking for? If so, how deep of an explanation do I write about it? They say we have 1325 characters to write and I could fill it up in a minute talking about my passion for the piano

Absolutely go ahead and include it, as this is an important part of who you are. Write enough information to get across the passion you have for this activity. What you wrote in this posting seemed to communicate your enthusiasm well.

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. I'm happy to hear that maybe all the hours I've put in still count for something!

Enjoy the summer and best of luck to you both!