Application Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeyJo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN dudes!

A few pre-med q's for you about the application process;

- Can I send out the AAMCAS application packet to the schools now, even though I plan on taking the MCAT in April?

- If yes, do I have a chance of getting in for the 2003 entering class?

- Does anyone know if NYU accepts AAMCAS? I can't find any info about that on their site.

- I have a 3.8 cum GPA, with a 3.7 GPA in the sciences.
I plan on taking the MCATs in April of '03.

- I have all A+ , A, and A- 's on my transcript except for one C+ in Orgo II. Will this hinder my application?

My question is - do I have a chance of getting into med school for the '03 entering class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't get into the entering class of 2003 if you are not taking the MCAT until April. You will have to wait till 2004.

The earliest you will be able to submit AMCAS will be the first week of June in 2003.

NYU does not accept AMCAS.

The C will hurt you a little, but no applicant is perfect.

Ack! Are you serious?
I'd have to wait till 2004 to get into med school??? :mad:

Is this a general thing, or do you say that b/c my chances would be slim to get into the '03 class? Remember, I'd submit the AAMCAS stuff now, so the adcom should have 99% of my info already at hand..

Please tell me this is not the case...!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, but this is the case...........aamc specifically states that you cannot take the mcat the same year you plan on matriculating............thus, you cannot take the mcat in 2003 if you plan on matriculating in2003..........best of luck next year.

nero

That sucks!! I sooo did not know this! :(

- Do you think I should call some med schools and 'ask'?

- Why can't they give the mcat more than twice a year? Like in december or january! :(

Thanks anyway for the info... sniff...

you can call and ask but the answer will invariably be next year. no way around this one.

Ok, thanks..
I'll go cry now.. :(

Man, I wish I knew about this earlier!
Oh well, such is life, no?

Originally posted by JoeyJo
That sucks!! I sooo did not know this! :(

- Why can't they give the mcat more than twice a year? Like in december or january! :(

They do...it's offered in April and August.

I said 'more than twice a year'.
Meaning April, August and say December.

Oh well, thanks for the sad, but useful info.

don't you have a pre-med advisor at you school? Or have you been out of school?

There is a pre-med advisor, but he knows as much as applying to med school as does my parakeet. In short - zilch. He's a general advisor, so he doesn't know too much about any one topic.

Oh well.

I said 'more than twice a year'.
Meaning April, August and say December.

lol...sorry, that's what happens when I don't read too carefully. I hope this didn't happen to me during the MCAT. :eek:

Even if they offered a December mcat, it wouldn't help you at all. Seeing as how the August MCAT is advised against because it slows up your application, there's no way you could have a december one and still apply for an august spot. A december mcat would be before the april mcat, not after the august. If that makes sense.

hi all,
i was wondering if anybody had trouble with AMCAS grades appearing on their primaries. I type in the OT grade and units for the class but there is no conversion and these classes end up missing in my post-bacc gpa.

If they'd offer a December MCAT, the scores would be in by February. I think that's more than ample time for the applicant to submit the info and have the adcom review it.

Just my $.00002

If they'd offer a December MCAT, the scores would be in by February. I think that's more than ample time for the applicant to submit the info and have the adcom review it.

Just my $.00002

It's not really enough time and is incredibly late. The application starts really early. The earliest date you can submit AMCAS is a little after mid-June, so people would have been in the process for 8 months by the time schools received your score. I suggest you talk to career services at your school to find out more about the process.

-RA