Application question about shadowing my father...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berq87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the AADSAS application...both my father and grandfather are dentists and ever since I was young I have been interested in dentistry and have basically been 'shadowing' them for my whole life so to speak. I have spent alot of time observing both of them, thus its hard to determine an exact number of hours that I have shadowed. I'm not sure if this would qualify as an official shadowing experience that I should put under the Dentistry Experience portion of the application or if I should just tie this into my personal statement like I have planned, or both? Thanks for the input all!

Members don't see this ad.

shadow someone else (nonfamily) as well. Not sure if the shadowing with your family really counts towards hours...

I'm not necessarily concerned about the hours, I am just wondering what way would be best to document my situation. Also, I have shadowed two OMFS's but for only one day at each of their practices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same situation as you. Father is a dentist, and have shadowed for years, then worked full time there as an assistant. I put the assisting under "work exp" since I was on the payroll, and the shadowing hours I tried to calculate roughly (ie: 3 days a week during school for 2 hrs = 6hrs a week etc.....weekends) Came out to about 2000 over the entire course of undergrad. My point is that you don't have to be exact saying that you did 174.2 hrs, but try to give an educated estimate.

ugh...this is kinda so unfair...it is SO HARD to find a dentist to shadow in this area, they all don't want the college kids here. That is my main problem - finding a dentist to shadow and for a long period of time. I mean my parents are BOTH physicians and they still don't let me shadow them or get free volunteer access to the ER or free recs from their "doctor friends" or whatever...

I shadowed my dad and schools didn't seem to care as long as u meet their shadowing hours requirement

I shadowed my dad and schools didn't seem to care as long as u meet their shadowing hours requirement

As long as it is just a simple proof of shadowing that is not an issue. I think the problem is if it becomes a fullblown LOR.

I'm not necessarily concerned about the hours, I am just wondering what way would be best to document my situation. Also, I have shadowed two OMFS's but for only one day at each of their practices.

Why is this a concern? Youve done your job and shadowed someone. You took the initiative to observe a dentist in practice just as well as the next applicant. My advice: Be honest...document it as it is. I really do not think that schools can penalize you because your father is a dentist. I would truly feel like that they would be discriminating against you if they claimed that shadowing a relative is not "good enough."

Good luck!

your previous hours with dentists, who are not your relatives.

However, I believe you'd better obtain a letter from a dentist who is not your one of family members, if you are sending a letter from the dentist as one of your recommendation letters.

Get your dad to train you as an assistant and work for him this summer