1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Application question about shadowing my father...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by berq87, May 29, 2008.

1. berq87

Pre-Dental
    I have a question regarding the AADSAS application...both my father and grandfather are dentists and ever since I was young I have been interested in dentistry and have basically been 'shadowing' them for my whole life so to speak. I have spent alot of time observing both of them, thus its hard to determine an exact number of hours that I have shadowed. I'm not sure if this would qualify as an official shadowing experience that I should put under the Dentistry Experience portion of the application or if I should just tie this into my personal statement like I have planned, or both? Thanks for the input all!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LeoDDS

Dentist
    shadow someone else (nonfamily) as well. Not sure if the shadowing with your family really counts towards hours...

4. berq87

Pre-Dental
    I'm not necessarily concerned about the hours, I am just wondering what way would be best to document my situation. Also, I have shadowed two OMFS's but for only one day at each of their practices.

5. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    I am in the same situation as you. Father is a dentist, and have shadowed for years, then worked full time there as an assistant. I put the assisting under "work exp" since I was on the payroll, and the shadowing hours I tried to calculate roughly (ie: 3 days a week during school for 2 hrs = 6hrs a week etc.....weekends) Came out to about 2000 over the entire course of undergrad. My point is that you don't have to be exact saying that you did 174.2 hrs, but try to give an educated estimate.

6. idontcareanymor

ugh...this is kinda so unfair...it is SO HARD to find a dentist to shadow in this area, they all don't want the college kids here. That is my main problem - finding a dentist to shadow and for a long period of time. I mean my parents are BOTH physicians and they still don't let me shadow them or get free volunteer access to the ER or free recs from their "doctor friends" or whatever...

7. trixie2126

Pre-Dental

#6 trixie2126, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. airsimon

Dental Student
    I shadowed my dad and schools didn't seem to care as long as u meet their shadowing hours requirement

9. blankguy

Dental Student
    As long as it is just a simple proof of shadowing that is not an issue. I think the problem is if it becomes a fullblown LOR.

10. WolverineTrojan

Dental Student

Why is this a concern? Youve done your job and shadowed someone. You took the initiative to observe a dentist in practice just as well as the next applicant. My advice: Be honest...document it as it is. I really do not think that schools can penalize you because your father is a dentist. I would truly feel like that they would be discriminating against you if they claimed that shadowing a relative is not "good enough."

Good luck!

11. visbimmer79

visbimmer79 Cornellian

Dental Student
    your previous hours with dentists, who are not your relatives.

However, I believe you'd better obtain a letter from a dentist who is not your one of family members, if you are sending a letter from the dentist as one of your recommendation letters.

12. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales

Dental Student
    Get your dad to train you as an assistant and work for him this summer