Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozeandlose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will applying around the 2nd week of July hurt my chances of acceptance? My mcat is a 32 and cgpa will be around 3.15ish. The only reason I ask is because I am trying to decide whether or not to retake intro bio and orgo I (D and F) in the spring semester or summer. My application would improve drastically if those grades were replaced by A's and taking them in the summer would make things a lot easier.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about next cycle? Or did you mean to say January...?

Yes retake and apply based on when you get those grades. Those pre-reqs are important and a D and F should immediately be retaken for pre-req courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you mean July next year, then YES 100% retake those classes.

I am definitely retaking them; I was asking if I should retake them in the spring in order to apply early in the cycle or is it okay for me to take them over the summer and apply in July once I get those grades? It would be a lot easier to take them over the summer.

I am definitely retaking them; I was asking if I should retake them in the spring in order to apply early in the cycle or is it okay for me to take them over the summer and apply in July once I get those grades? It would be a lot easier to take them over the summer.
Well considering the application cycle doesn't start until June, I don't think waiting one more month will kill you

If you'll do better in the summer, then do it. Applying in July isn't really late as long as you turn those secondaries around quickly

If you'll do better in the summer, then do it. Applying in July isn't really late as long as you turn those secondaries around quickly

Does the DO application open at different time compared to the AAMC one? I've read many threads that state the importance of applying early.

How did you get a 32 on the Mcat with such poor pre-req grades? What was your practice test average?

Obviously the AACOMAS.
July IS early. I would even consider August early. The DO cycle runs much longer than MD (even though they start at the same time.) Considering I applied in February, you are taking to the master of applying late. July, late? No.

July IS early. I would even consider August early. The DO cycle runs much longer than MD (even though they start at the same time.) Considering I applied in February, you are taking to the master of applying late. July, late? No.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting in? I'm just about to submit my app (3.34 sGPA 29 MCAT, but just retook MCAT last Friday due to it expiring).

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting in? I'm just about to submit my app (3.34 sGPA 29 MCAT, but just retook MCAT last Friday due to it expiring).
ATSU-SOMA. I deferred my acceptance though so even though I applied for the 2014 cycle I won't start until 2015