Application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yzakjoule

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a Licensed Optician in Boston. I've been striving to become an optometrist and took all the pre-requisite courses about 4-5 years back. I've been busy with work during these years because I have a family that I need to sustain and now I have a chance to apply for school.

I'm wondering if the pre-req courses I took back then will still count as pre-req. I don't have a bachelors degree. But ready for OAT and I'm willing to give my best to get the highest score.

In addition, it's been a while since I talked to a faculty member from school so it's really difficult for me to get the LOR from the faculties, I have no problem from the doctors because I work at an optical shop so I have plenty of doctors who are willing to do the LOR for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a Licensed Optician in Boston. I've been striving to become an optometrist and took all the pre-requisite courses about 4-5 years back. I've been busy with work during these years because I have a family that I need to sustain and now I have a chance to apply for school.

I'm wondering if the pre-req courses I took back then will still count as pre-req. I don't have a bachelors degree. But ready for OAT and I'm willing to give my best to get the highest score.

In addition, it's been a while since I talked to a faculty member from school so it's really difficult for me to get the LOR from the faculties, I have no problem from the doctors because I work at an optical shop so I have plenty of doctors who are willing to do the LOR for me.

it's best to contact the schools you're interested in directly and ask. some of your pre-requisites may not count because a lot of schools require them to have been taken no longer than x amount of years ago (and i think i've seen 5 years limit somewhere before)

From the schools I've seen most are 5-10 years or they never expire. Best to contact them directly or search on their admission websites

Members don't see this ad :)
it's best to contact the schools you're interested in directly and ask. some of your pre-requisites may not count because a lot of schools require them to have been taken no longer than x amount of years ago (and i think i've seen 5 years limit somewhere before)

Thanks for the reply

From the schools I've seen most are 5-10 years or they never expire. Best to contact them directly or search on their admission websites

Thanks for the reply as well

My other question will be how would I have to do about the LORs, I have the 2 from the doctors that the school requires but I need one from Faculty which I don't have any way of contacting them since it's been more than 4-5 years

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply as well

My other question will be how would I have to do about the LORs, I have the 2 from the doctors that the school requires but I need one from Faculty which I don't have any way of contacting them since it's been more than 4-5 years

if you already have certain schools in mind, contact them and tell them about your situation. if you haven't planned that yet and if you're not particular about where you go, you can apply to only schools that wouldn't require a professor's letter

Letters of Evaluation | OptomCAS