Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shdwpally

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about the application process. I heard that it's good to submit as early as possible so I plan on finishing my personal statement beforehand and then filling out app as quickly as possible.

However.....I have not taken my DAT yet and I plan to take it sometime during the summer. Do I have to submit my DAT to my application before I submit it? Can I first submit my application then send my DAT scores later?

I also heard that it takes 3-4 weeks to process your application. So... let's say they require DAT before you can submit the application and I take DAT June. My scores will be verified in July and finally only then can I submit my app. Then does it takes until August to get it processed?

Thanks for help

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions about the application process. I heard that it's good to submit as early as possible so I plan on finishing my personal statement beforehand and then filling out app as quickly as possible.

However.....I have not taken my DAT yet and I plan to take it sometime during the summer. Do I have to submit my DAT to my application before I submit it? Can I first submit my application then send my DAT scores later?

I also heard that it takes 3-4 weeks to process your application. So... let's say they require DAT before you can submit the application and I take DAT June. My scores will be verified in July and finally only then can I submit my app. Then does it takes until August to get it processed?

Thanks for help

You can submit the application without DAT scores, and without letters of recommendation. Schools won't review your application without either though.

A new application will be sent out after they get your DAT scores, so it will be sent twice.

You can submit the application without DAT scores, and without letters of recommendation. Schools won't review your application without either though.

A new application will be sent out after they get your DAT scores, so it will be sent twice.

So when people say you should have your apps submitted by early June, does that mean with DAT and letters of rec?

Also if I submit my app with just letters of recs (no DAT), will all of that info get "processed" or do they wait until everything is there before they process it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So when people say you should have your apps submitted by early June, does that mean with DAT and letters of rec?

Also if I submit my app with just letters of recs (no DAT), will all of that info get "processed" or do they wait until everything is there before they process it.

your application will get sent to your designated schools even if it is incomplete. however, the schools wont look at it until its complete. get everything done early, i mean everything, including the dat. the best scenario is that your have all of your lor's, dat scores and personal statement done by the time the application becomes available online. there are many schools who start interviewing in august and early september. when it comes to getting interviews at dental schools its true that the early bird catches the worm. it is very competitive, so you have to do all that you can to compete. i know this sounds rough but its true. then it can become a crap shoot. if your dat scores are good, you have a decent gpa and a strong personal statement you're in the game. good luck

your application will get sent to your designated schools even if it is incomplete. however, the schools wont look at it until its complete. get everything done early, i mean everything, including the dat. the best scenario is that your have all of your lor's, dat scores and personal statement done by the time the application becomes available online. there are many schools who start interviewing in august and early september. when it comes to getting interviews at dental schools its true that the early bird catches the worm. it is very competitive, so you have to do all that you can to compete. i know this sounds rough but its true. then it can become a crap shoot. if your dat scores are good, you have a decent gpa and a strong personal statement you're in the game. good luck

Do you think the best of the best (keeners) apply early, therefore your application would be mixed in with some of the most competitive applicants?

Do you think the best of the best (keeners) apply early, therefore your application would be mixed in with some of the most competitive applicants?

The earlier the better, it can only help.

i think the smarter people submit early, because they're smart enough to know how important it is to do so...

I am kind of rushing things (trying to finish college in 3 years since not so rigorous major) so I have yet to take the DAT. If I take it in late June and submit it right after, do you think that will be still early enough to get reviewed first?

In other words, how late can I take the DAT usually to be considered early? More time would be helpful if possible

i think the smarter people submit early, because they're smart enough to know how important it is to do so...

I completely agree. So, would submitting early be better than waiting a bit? I mean, everyone says submit early because all the spots are open. So technically should the advice be, don't submit too late (not necessarily submit early)? How does it work exactly? If your application is passed up during the first batch, do you get put into the second batch and re-reviewed? Or are you put on the maybe pile at the end?

My rationale could be off/completely flawed, but is this likely?:

Submitting early:
-competing with tons of gunners, thus average applicants won't looks as good
-but many spots are open

Submitting a few weeks later:
-competing with fewer gunners, and more "average" applicants
-not TOO many spots filled

I think as an average applicant, I would stand out more amongst the "less-competitive" crowd.

I completely agree. So, would submitting early be better than waiting a bit? I mean, everyone says submit early because all the spots are open. So technically should the advice be, don't submit too late (not necessarily submit early)? How does it work exactly? If your application is passed up during the first batch, do you get put into the second batch and re-reviewed? Or are you put on the maybe pile at the end?

Submitting early:
-but many spots are open

I think as an average applicant, I would stand out more amongst the "less-competitive" crowd.

what you think is average probably isnt. remember, predents and sdner's stats are not the best guide for who really applies to dental school. get your s@%t done and submit everything no later than mid to late june. listen, im giving you the best case scenario. dont worry who you are going to be competing with, worry about yourself. get your teachers lined up now for lor's and start thinking about your ps. shadow and get a rec from a dentist on the sidelines NOW! if you have to wait to take the dat do it no later than the end of june. it will take 2 weeks to get uploaded to your aadsas app, than another 2 weeks to get to the schools and then they will maybe look at you! serious...

what you think is average probably isnt. remember, predents and sdner's stats are not the best guide for who really applies to dental school. get your s@%t done and submit everything no later than mid to late june. listen, im giving you the best case scenario. dont worry who you are going to be competing with, worry about yourself. get your teachers lined up now for lor's and start thinking about your ps. shadow and get a rec from a dentist on the sidelines NOW! if you have to wait to take the dat do it no later than the end of june. it will take 2 weeks to get uploaded to your aadsas app, than another 2 weeks to get to the schools and then they will maybe look at you! serious...

i've had everything done for a couple of weeks now. I was just wondering when the most effective time to submit would be. I've done all the worrying I can about my own application. It's all one big competition, so you kind of have to play your cards right. I was just asking if waiting a bit would even somewhat help.

i've had everything done for a couple of weeks now. I was just wondering when the most effective time to submit would be. I've done all the worrying I can about my own application. It's all one big competition, so you kind of have to play your cards right. I was just asking if waiting a bit would even somewhat help.

Getting your stuff in early is the best bet. The early bird gets the worm. My average stats got me in the door with quite a few interviews. Friends of mine that have the same/better stats that submitted later had fewer pre-dec interviews or none at all.

Always be early.

find out from aadsas when the application will be up and that will be the day you will submit. simple... :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for help

Here is what you need to know:

you CAN submit AADSAS before taking the DAT, they will still process all your grades and verify everything for you. It is my understanding that AADSAS (when everything is verified and complete) WILL send your application to dental schools......... THE PROBLEM IS, dental schools won't even look at your file UNTIL they receive your DAT score.

this is why its usually most idea to have a DAT score in hand before or as you apply. However, I don't think there is a problem taking the DAT in (say) around mid-June. The one problem with this is, it takes (so I heard) about 30 days for AADSAS to recieve your DAT score. So technically speaking, your file won't be ready to be reviewed by the schools until mid-July

Here is what you need to know:

you CAN submit AADSAS before taking the DAT, they will still process all your grades and verify everything for you. It is my understanding that AADSAS (when everything is verified and complete) WILL send your application to dental schools......... THE PROBLEM IS, dental schools won't even look at your file UNTIL they receive your DAT score.

this is why its usually most idea to have a DAT score in hand before or as you apply. However, I don't think there is a problem taking the DAT in (say) around mid-June. The one problem with this is, it takes (so I heard) about 30 days for AADSAS to recieve your DAT score. So technically speaking, your file won't be ready to be reviewed by the schools until mid-July

exactly what i said!

My school takes labs and lectures seperately. Since bio labs are so popular, it is almost impossible to take it until your senior year. Therefore, can I put plan to take or something of the sort to meet the 1 year bio with lab?

My school takes labs and lectures seperately. Since bio labs are so popular, it is almost impossible to take it until your senior year. Therefore, can I put plan to take or something of the sort to meet the 1 year bio with lab?

yes you can. as long as you finish it before matriculating into DS

Getting your stuff in early is the best bet. The early bird gets the worm. My average stats got me in the door with quite a few interviews. Friends of mine that have the same/better stats that submitted later had fewer pre-dec interviews or none at all.

Sometimes the early bird ends up with a stick instead of a worm. No dean in his/her right mind would pass up a "better" applicant simply based on the time application was sent in.

Thanks for help

If you have everything but your DAT done, go ahead and submit your AADSAS application soon after it opens. The "processing" takes 2-3 weeks if you submit sometime between June and August. It can take longer if you submit later. Most of the "processing" time is because they are verifying your transcript. Like others have said, they'll send your application w/o your DAT scores to the schools but most schools won't actually look at your application yet.

BUT once you finish the DAT, it takes about 2 weeks for your scores to get sent to AADSAS, then AADSAS will send an updated application to the schools the same week they get your scores (I think they always mail out on Fridays). SO it is much better to undergo the long processing time earlier so your application can be "complete" shortly after your DAT is done.

And taking the DAT in June is fine as long as you do well on it. Having your application "complete" in July is still considered "early." People have the tendency to overemphasize the whole "early" thing like you have to apply the day AADSAS opens or you won't get in.

If you wait to submit your entire application until after the DAT, they won't get anything until August, probably.

I am kind of rushing things (trying to finish college in 3 years since not so rigorous major) so I have yet to take the DAT. If I take it in late June and submit it right after, do you think that will be still early enough to get reviewed first?

In other words, how late can I take the DAT usually to be considered early? More time would be helpful if possible

If you submit your whole application the beginning of June then submit your DAT in late June or July, you will likely have everything in in time to be considered for September interviews, or at least October for sure.

The importance of applying early is very much related to how strong an applicant you are. The reason for applying early is because you are competing against less people for an interview spot, so you're more likely to get an interview. But do understand that having a September interview gives you no better chance of getting in than a November interview. All pre-Dec interviewees have the same chance of being accepted.

You can put "planned" and "in progress" classes into AADSAS

Submitting early:
-but many spots are open

Always submit earlier when possible. Even if there are tons of "gunners" to compete with for the first interview date, at least your application is there to be considered. Just because they may have better applicants does not mean you won't get an interview.

And it's not like if you aren't chosen for the first interview your application disappears. It will be considered each time the committee meets to select the next round of interviewees.