Application Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WestCoastPharmD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I am possibly/likely going to be receiving a full ride through pharmacy school through the pharmacy I am getting my pre-pharm experience with. Will that make me more competitive? I am also taking all my prerequisites except for Organic Chem, Anatomy, and Microbiology from a CC. These will be at a 4 year university. I will also be applying one year before I get my undergrad complete. Will the CC and no Undergrad hurt? Thoughts?

Stats:
GPA: 3.75 (Expected GPA 3.7-3.8 when applying)
Volunteer experience: 272 hrs
Pharm experience: Technician (over 150 hrs)
EXTRA: Scholarships, Honors Society Membership, School Club Team Leader
 
No - not unless they want to endow a chair in the school of pharmacy.


I don't get it? I think you mean that having a full ride doesn't make you more competitive. Or do you mean that not having a undergrad and attending CC the first two years won't hurt.

What is "endow a chair?"

I'm so confused!😕

Thanks for the reply though!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it will look good that a pharmacy wants to pay for my schooling and hire me on after graduation. I'm just not sure how much weight it would hold. Maybe none?

I am also thinking that CC courses are not as competitive, and I'm considering waiting a year to apply to pharmacy school until I finish my undergrad so I have more upper division course work to show them. I'm honestly struggling with this because I have a lot of momentum built up for applying this year, but this factor has got me wondering if I should wait.

I threw the stats in just to give you an idea of what I had to work with.

I guess what I'm looking for is should I wait or should I apply??

Thanks!!
 
Nope - they don't care how you pay for it - they just know you will. Loans, grants, parents, scholarships....whatever....the school will accept you on your merits alone - not on who is paying your bill (trust me - I'm paying a bucketload for a medical school for my daughter who didn't even get a first look at my own alumnus (alumni???)).

Anyway...if your pharmacy wants to give enough money to the school - as in the millions of dollars (ie the Longs School of Pharmacy (UOP), Pfizer School of Pharmacy (University of Buffalo), the Keck School of Medicine (USC), etc....which provides a continuing endowment for a chairperson - faculty person)...then that individual might be given special consideration.

It actually happened at UC Irvine when a medical student applied for a Rads residency (I think) & was not as qualified as other students & was given a spot because his family actually endowed a chair within the dept. Quite a scandal & I'm not sure of the acutal outcome.

Professionally, the guy will have a tough time since his spot was essentially "bought" not earned.

See the difference???
 
I think it will look good that a pharmacy wants to pay for my schooling and hire me on after graduation. I'm just not sure how much weight it would hold. Maybe none?

I am also thinking that CC courses are not as competitive, and I'm considering waiting a year to apply to pharmacy school until I finish my undergrad so I have more upper division course work to show them. I'm honestly struggling with this because I have a lot of momentum built up for applying this year, but this factor has got me wondering if I should wait.

I threw the stats in just to give you an idea of what I had to work with.

I guess what I'm looking for is should I wait or should I apply??

Thanks!!

Are you sure you want to be a pharmacist or do you want to be their employee?

There are lots of pharmacy paths to follow & you might not get the chance to follow them if you're tied to this purse string.

What if, during your undergraduate work, you decide you like biochemistry & would love to be a biochemist? Or a dentist or an optomitrist or any of the myriad of other professions out there which would or could be fun & exciting.

Don't be lured by a carrot which is easily replaced by something else, unless that's what you really, really want!
 
Thank you for the advice!

I don't really want to be an employee of some store manager somewhere. I don't think that would be fun. It is a good point that I may be limited in my options if I have to work the pharmacy that pays for my schooling. I think the program I am looking at only requires two years of employment and one of those years can be a residency, but I will look more into it!

Right now I'm volunteering in an inpatient pharmacy at a major hospital, and I love it! If I get accepted into pharmacy school, I will likely work in a hospital. I know they often do not pay as much, but I feel accomplished when I am there to help somebody.

I also volunteer with a foundation that helps the special needs children of my community. There is so much medication that these kids need to take that it would be very helpful if we had a pharmacist on staff to monitor 🙄 (volunteer pharmacist of course).

I am also in love with chemistry and biology, and I have the most excellent instructors this year!😀

Thank you for the opinion on if a full ride would help. I think you had a really good point, and I won't be relying on that factor to get me in!!! 🙂

Any advice on whether I should wait on applying until I finish my undergrad, or will my extra work in school activities and volunteer work carry me?

Thank you!!
 
I say apply now. Don't be scared, but if you're not ready, wait until you are. Life has a funny way of working things out.

But I say suck it up and go for it.
 
If you know for certain pharmacy is what you want....yeah - you could apply as soon as your pre-requisites are completed.

However, if you feel you want more time to consider other career paths...wait untill you've completed your undergrad. That might give you time to think about & look into other careers.

I don't mean to discourage you - just be really sure of what you want.
 
Your stats are great. You don't need to have a bachelor degree in order to apply pharmacy schools. However, it would be more competitive if you had a bachelor degree.