Application Steps broken down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torque

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Could you guys illustrate a simple picture of steps to dental schools?
For example (Under assumption that we are all aiming for autumn admission),

Until March, take all of the required courses.
March ~ May, take a DAT.

Something like that.

Also, I was just wondering, can you still be taking classes (say, G chem), even after you sent your application?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

the steps can be done at various times depending on your preferences, here's briefly what i did:
march: DAT and rough draft of personal statement
early April: ask for LOR late April: final draft of personal statement
May: as soon as grades come out, order your transcripts sent to the schools. as soon as aadsas application is available, fill it out and send it in along with the application to fees for the schools and the 2x2 picture if your schools require it.
June,July, August: wait for interview invites, secondaries, confirmation letters, etc.
September - November: Interviews
December onwards - acceptances come and any remaining interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how much time you have- but this is what I did...I took the DAT almost a year before applying.

-took DAT sept. 2003.
-worked on searching for schools/gathering info/personal essay between Sept. 2003-May 2004
-asked for letter of recommendations in Feb/March 2004
-sent transcripts to AADSAS in May 2004
-sent in application Aug. 2004
-schools got my application in mid October/early November
-interviews in Jan. 2005
-wait for response/accepted Feb. 2005
-now waiting for graduation May 2005/summer/vacation :)

Hope this helps. I took my DAT way early because:
1) scores are valid for 2 years
2) gives me plenty of time to improve if I needed to retake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding your question- can you still take classes like g. chem after you send in application-
yes you can- though I may be misunderstanding your question- but why are you taking g. chem after you take DAT?? You need g. chem for the DAT.....

From my understand, you don't have to have taken your DAT when you send in your application. However, it is to your advantage to have it already taken when you send in your applicaiton.

Biogirl361 said:
the steps can be done at various times depending on your preferences, here's briefly what i did:
march: DAT and rough draft of personal statement
early April: ask for LOR late April: final draft of personal statement
May: as soon as grades come out, order your transcripts sent to the schools. as soon as aadsas application is available, fill it out and send it in along with the application to fees for the schools and the 2x2 picture if your schools require it.
June,July, August: wait for interview invites, secondaries, confirmation letters, etc.
September - November: Interviews
December onwards - acceptances come and any remaining interviews.

What exactly is a secondary?
ALSO..
If I apply to everyone by May.. do you think I could expect interviews by late summer or fall?

Secondary applications are for more specific quesions the school asks you--like for Marquette, they have a secondary application with an essay "Why Marquette" or something like that- that you have to include as part of your applicaiton package.

If you apply by May- you have a greater chance of getting reviewed earlier than a lot of people and higher chance of getting in provided you have decent stats.

Do secondaries get sent to everyone, or just people who the adcoms are considering for admission?

secondaries get sent just to those candiates whom the adcoms are considering, but remember some schools don't have a secondary prior to inviting a candidate for an interview.

And many secondaries consist just of your name and a place to check how you will be paying the secondary fee, or even just a check. It's like they've lost even the pretense of "learning more about the candidate" and are showing the purpose of secondaries for what it is: cash, bucks, dough, filthy lucre... :rolleyes: Sigh. WHY is everything so expensive??? :mad: