Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Application Submission Prior to MCAT Score.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by KonsieRav, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. KonsieRav

KonsieRav 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Quick question:

Want to submit my AAMC/AACOMAS applications now. Scheduled to take the MCAT early August. Have already taken the MCAT last year, did ok but preferred to reapply.

If my new scores come in late August/early September and my apps are already submitted to the schools, will the schools consider the application as "complete" or "fully submitted" in late August/early September, or will there be a pile of "submitted in late May" that they have already reviewed and are awaiting additional information for?

Thanks again guys

Take care

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kyamh

kyamh 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You will be complete late August/September since schools won't look at your application until all the pieces are there. You will have all the disadvantages of being a late applicant, sorry :unsure:

4. KonsieRav

KonsieRav 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Really, just spoke to an MD advisor at my university's med school and they said that they would review the application but keep it on the back-burner pending more information — basically in a different category relative to the late submissions.

I guess it varies from school to school.

5. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    AAMC guidelines to schools recommend that an application be reviewed only after it is complete. They also recommend schools review after updated MCAT. However neither is binding. An individual school has no obligation to wait until an app is complete nor do they have to wait for update MCAT.

Simply because of the sheer number of applications that an individual school receives, most school's process works along these lines

initial review of primary: GPA/MCAT cutoff formula with some doing a "fast review" of app for circumstances that may impact the former (ie ill a term, etc)
    most will send out secondaries.

Open Application: Waiting for complete (ie cooking on backburner)

Full review: only after application is fully complete. The logical here they dont have the time or staff to review an app multiple times

Your issue is since you already have an MCAT score, even though a new one is planned, the school can consider it a complete app and decide upon that score.
    Conversely, if you wait until your new score is in your will be very, very, late.

I have had more than one student submitting with MCAT score and stating a planned August MCAT get rejected before new scores are out. However, I can't say if that is the typical or the atypical. Most of the August MCAT success stories I know of tend to be from formal 1 year postbacc that have strong reputations or linkages. Most of those students dont have a previous MCAT score

My perception is from dealing with adcoms is if you have alot going for you in that initial review/back burner, they are more inclined to wait.
    If your are hoping for an excellent outstanding MCAT to pull up a mediocre application, they will reject quickly

About the ads