Application success and Timing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Adcadet, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all -
    I've heard some SDNers say that "timing is everything" - basically if you apply late (as in wait for your August MCAT to come in), you don't stand much of a chance of admittance to med schools. I've also heard some people say it makes little difference. And I've heard the director of admissions say that it makes no difference. Does anybody have any evidence to back up any of these opinions?

Thanks,
    Adcadet

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr. H

Some schools have rolling admissions, so its advantageous to have your app. in early. It follows from this that applying late decreases your chances of admissions because spots have been filled.

Some schools select all at once, so it doesn't matter when your app. comes in. It follows from this that applying "late" has no bearing on admissions.

peace

4. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

My neighbor went to Rochester. He said that his first interview question was "why did you apply so late?" He thought they took it as a sign of lackluster desire.

Anyway, he got in so I'm not sure what the point of this post is.

:)

5. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

I applied late (AMCAS done early Oct.). From 11 schools I got 7 interviews and after spending time on 4 waitlists, 2 acceptances. I think that it is better to apply early but not necessary if you are a strong applicant. Basically, it can't hurt to apply earlier but it might hurt to apply later, so why risk it?

6. This is certainly an interesting topic. I have heard from several doctors that it really doesn't matter, because if they "LIKE YOU" they will do what it takes to get you into their program. So I guess the key is presenting yourself well and not looking like an idiot. The bottom line is, if they want you at their school, they'll let you know. I honestly don't think there is much of a difference, I am applying late to MD/PhD programs, and if they see this as my weakest point, then oh well. With all due respect to people who take 12 units of course work in the spring to study for the mcat, I think those students actually have more time to prepare than most others. For example, I have a full time job, enrolled in a physics course, and am about to publish a paper once the mcat is over... my plate is not empty!

7. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

I think it definately hurts you to apply late. I applied last year at pretty much the deadline the apps were due - clearly late. Out of 4 schools, I got 2 interviews. Which isnt bad considering, but I think the real problem is that as you get closer and closer to the deadline, the ADCOMs have their favorites, which they arent going to just abandon because some new guy showed up. (Think about it, thats like resorting an entire list everytime you evaluate a new app. As a result, I think each spot becomes more and more competitive.
    Just my 0.02 though...

8. I agree with the previous post... but if I were to exchange shoes with an admissions person, I would not soley accept one person over the other because they took a test in april... to me, that sounds ridiculous. Moreover, someone should figure out how many people take the aug. mcat, vs. those taking the april mcat (assuming they are diff. people). I just think that schools must have a legitimate reason for rejecting an applicant, besides the timeline of when they took a test.... again, I think its pathetic for students to take 12 units, a much lesser load, plus many take the easiest classes during that time so that they can place all their effort on the mcat... so, if i were the on the adcom, comparing two applicants, I think I also must consider the course load of both students and the level of activities they were involved in. It just doesn't seem to line up.

9. jot

jot

some people overload on hard classes, work, research, run organizations, have a life, and still study and do well on the 'cats. or at least i've heard. :) i'm not diasagreeing with your argument ancientmd - just saying i've heard its possible.

-jot